RDS-TMC Cable Extension

Hi All,
Does anybody know if you can get an extension cable for the RDS-TMC cable? I have a 720 with a Broadit Active mount and would like to permantley wire it but the RDS cable is too short.:confused:

If its the round plug style RDS receiver then I doubt you will find any extension cable as the plug and socket is a rather odd-ball connector, for a start its got six individual connections, four on the centre pin and two more on the inside of the outer ring.

What I have done in the past is bury the receiver beind the dash and connected the RDS aerial wire to the car aerial using a small ceramic disk capacitor to block any DC voltage present on the aerial from entering the TomTom receiver. This works really well and improves reception no end, it also neatens up the interiour of the car with far less wires strewn about.

If you are interested in how to make such a connection and cable post back and I will reply with some pictures etc - Mike

Thanks Mike

Thought that might be the case with the lead, done loads of googling and couldn't find one.
I would like to see how you connect the lead to the car aerial, presumably its chop of the end of the RDS lead and connect it to the centre aerial lead via a capacitor?

Len

Update to last message.
Hardwired the TomTom on Saturday, connected the end of the RDS lead to the centre lead of the car ariel. Also hardwired the power.

RDS worked fine on the motorways around London but still struggles to get a signal in rural areas.

Len

Ask a Question