RDS-TMC and the GO510

TomTom Model(s)
GO510
I just purchased the RDS-TMC traffic receiver for my GO510. I plugged it into the Windshield dock, and turned on my TomTom, but it doesn't appear to have "picked up" anything. I believe it's plugged into the only receptacle on the dock that will receive it.

Am I supposed to be able to "see" anything right away, or ONLY if there are reported traffic incicents?

I didn't go for TomTom "Traffic", because my Verizon phone isn't supported.

Thanks
Bob

When you plug it it (to the plug closest to the elbow on your car dock) when the unit is on, it should indicate that you have done so and then try to find a station. If you see that, then you need to have a route selected before it would offer any traffic information.

If you are not in a coverage area (you did not say where you are located), it will continue searching, but you will probably only see a yellow solid circle in the upper right corner. TomTom has a coverage map for the limited urban areas that it has a contract with FM radio stations. If you not in an urban area, you may be out of luck.

If your unit is trying to find a station and you are in a coverage area, but continues to display a moving arrow in the upper right, experiment with your antenna placement. In my vehicle, it seems to like the a vertical alignment on the far left on the driver side.

I just purchased the RDS-TMC traffic receiver for my GO510. I plugged it into the Windshield dock, and turned on my TomTom, but it doesn't appear to have "picked up" anything. I believe it's plugged into the only receptacle on the dock that will receive it.

Am I supposed to be able to "see" anything right away, or ONLY if there are reported traffic incicents?

I didn't go for TomTom "Traffic", because my Verizon phone isn't supported.

Thanks
Bob
The correct receptacle is the rear most one on the right side.

I have the manual for the 9V00.080 in front of me. I received the receiver today. (Note that the 9V00.180, which has a mini-USB plug, will not work with the GO 510 and GO 910 windshield dock. Some vendors picture the round pin plug for the device which turns out to have the mini-USB plug.)

I put the GO 910 (Box says that same receiver is for GO 510) into Driving View, as shown on page 5 of the manual. I saw half of a little yellow dot rotating at the upper right of the display, above the Traffic bar. (I found out the setting the "Status bar preferences" to "Vertical" helps to get into the menu to control the traffic receiver. You need to tap "Done" twice, after tapping the "Status bar preferences" icon, to get to the Horizontal or Vertical selection screen.) Then go back to the Driving View.

The rotating circle is then away from the right side of the display so that the "Traffic Bar" under it can can be tapped with fewer problems. The "TomTom Traffic" menu will be displayed after tapping the Traffic bar under the rotating circle. (Tapping the correct location is a bit difficult.) If "Tune automatically" is selected, the search for a radio station can be observed at the lower left of the display.

An easier way of getting to the the "TomTom Traffic" menu, is to go to the "Main Menu 3 of 3" display window and tapping the TomTom Traffic" icon. Then go to the second menu window to see the "Tune automatically" and "Tune manually" icon.

Ask a Question