Question about the "Amazon batch"

Everyone is aware of the problems with the XXL540's sold on Amazon. My question is, is this the only model affected? I'd be perfectly fine with a XL340 M/TM model, and Amzaon's prices are just hard to beat plus they're an authorized seller. Any input?

Everyone is aware of the problems with the XXL540's sold on Amazon. My question is, is this the only model affected? I'd be perfectly fine with a XL340 M/TM model, and Amzaon's prices are just hard to beat plus they're an authorized seller. Any input?
Duplicate question from other thread. Duplicate answer. We know of no other models sold by Amazon that had issues.

My experience differs.

See the post I just made commenting on the sticky entitled "Fixing Problems with the XXL 540."

My experience differs.

See the post I just made commenting on the sticky entitled "Fixing Problems with the XXL 540."
I don't see that your experience differs. The OP's question was whether Amazon had sold any other models (those other than the 540) that had these problems... not whether it was possible that a 540 from another source could have the same problem.

We know of no other models that were sold by Amazon during that period that had anything in the way of similar problems.

It is entirely possible for TomTom to have also had some inventory of the same units they sold to Amazon, hence your problem with a 2nd unit from TomTom themselves. They could easily have come back from Amazon as returns, practically unused, when users were unable to make them work out of the box. (I don't know if TT calls a unit with no problems found and considered ready for resale "refurbished" or not.) Or there could have been some left of the original batch made for Amazon that TomTom still had in inventory. You aren't the only user who has posted here that the replacement unit from TomTom had similar firmware issues.

Of interest, we know of no other retailer who received any of the problematic 540 units apart from Amazon.

Of course, if TomTom is supplying XXL 540 units returned from Amazon as warranty replacements, that just compounds the problem. Knowing what we know of the Amazon stock from the Thanksgiving timeframe until now, it would simply be negligent for TomTom to resell from the Amazon stock without major retesting. That leads me to believe that the XXL 540 problem goes beyond the Amazon stock.

Of course, if TomTom is supplying XXL 540 units returned from Amazon as warranty replacements, that just compounds the problem. Knowing what we know of the Amazon stock from the Thanksgiving timeframe until now, it would simply be negligent for TomTom to resell from the Amazon stock without major retesting. That leads me to believe that the XXL 540 problem goes beyond the Amazon stock.
We can't know for certain what's happening with the returned units. Some were completely 'bricked' by user attempts to perform updates. Some units performed peculiarly right out of the box. Those, if returned, should have been sufficiently obvious as faulty that they would have had remedial action of some sort performed. Unusual faults can be missed during such incoming inspections, but what most users reported were problems that couldn't have been missed.

That leaves us with two possibilities regarding failing 540 units that were shipped by TomTom USA as replacements for the defective Amazon stock when users returned them. The first is that these units were flashed with the same sort of defective firmware that caused the users problems in the first place. We have no information that would cause us to believe that TomTom USA either did/didn't have access to the problem firmware that was being loaded at the factory. The second possibility is that TomTom USA did not fully deplete their stock of units with the aberrant firmware in their shipments to Amazon, and that surplus stock of problem units could have been shipped to the field as replacements.

Either way, it's a mess, but again -- we have NOT had any but the usual level of reports of 540's failing from sources other than Amazon, and to a lesser degree, RMA replacements from TomTom. We get a very large cross section of channel sales here. If a significant number of bad units had been sold through another retail outlet, we'd have been hearing about it.

This problem very nearly mirrors one we saw two years ago with another TomTom unit and another retailer. It appears that TomTom will sometimes devote a specific period of 'line time' to fill major orders for a specific retailer. If something goes badly on the line during that production, you get these results.

There is a separate problem that is frequently being reported here that does impact a much wider population of 540s, but it's actually a Home problem -- that of Home not believing that it has an emulator ("Operate my XL") suitable for the firmware on many of the 540 units. That, sadly, is a not uncommon disconnect between the development efforts of the firmware guys and the application guys back in Amsterdam -- something we've seen a fair bit of over the last couple of years. I've had a fair bit of experience in this very area myself, and could not possibly overemphasize the importance of a close working relationship between firmware, 'driver', and ancillary application groups, and the need to test, test, test. TomTom has dropped the ball in their coordination of those groups any number of times (one could point out their most recent models and the map updates that 'bricked' them), and their testing hasn't been catching the problems. Their Director/VP of Engineering probably isn't the most popular guy in the building right now. Then again, in classic form, he probably warned them that the product wasn't ready to ship, either. I'd LOVE to know whether the Dutch word for "show stopper" exists anywhere in their process documents for taking a product to market.

Last edited:
Does this Amazon batch problem still exist? Is it safe now to buy an xxl540tm from Amazon?

thx

Does this Amazon batch problem still exist? Is it safe now to buy an xxl540tm from Amazon?

thx
There's the $64,000 (well, around a $125, actually) question. It would be REALLY interesting to know what Amazon's stock rotation policies are for special production runs of goods - which this may have been. Most distribution companies and huge online retailers like Amazon have a standard stock rotation policy, but deviations are known to occur. We also don't know what TomTom does when they get goods back under those terms.

All you can do is watch and wait for any new 540 owners who purchased from Amazon to show up here and divulge their firmware level during the course of a conversation.

Well, if it helps I got my XXL540TM a little over a week ago from Amazon and, now that the Operate My XXL has been fixed, it seems to work very well. Here's the info:

OS 567329
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5279

Device AKxxx BSxxx

What does this tell me? Does any of this point to the ones that had real problems?

Using the 865 maps.

Ask a Question