Problem with TomTom Home & Device

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes Edition (UK & ROI)
Hi

I am using a Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and have Norton Internet Security 2012 installed.

Whenever I connect my device (TomTom XL IQ Routes) I get a message box (see attached screenshot) to say that there are errors with some files and recommending a scan. If I let the scan run, no errors are found. The device shows up in My Computer with the correct icon and as a device with removable storage. It also shows up correctly by name in Devices & Printers.

I also have Home set to open automatically when I connect my device and to remember my Log-in details. I regularly find that Home doesn't log on automatically and hangs.

I have twice uninstalled Home and reinstalled it but the problems persist.

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

Attachments

• TomTom-1.jpg
    TomTom-1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 673
I have connected my TomTom which opened Home automatically and again got the request for a disk check.

As recommended in the post from your link, I then closed Home and ran a chkdsk e: /f from the command prompt as administrator.

I was asked during that check whether I wanted to convert loose chains to files and clicked NO as i wasn't sure what effect that would have on the device contents.

After that I dismounted the drive and then, when I reconnected it the error message didn't appear.

I have also now altered the settings in Device Manager > Properties > Policies > Removal Policy from Quick Removal (Default) to Better Performance.

It seems to have done the trick although I am unsure whether I should have let it deal with the loose chains - any suggestions?

That was a good thing not letting it save the loose chains to files. They are NOT loose chains at all.

You see, Windows associates the file extension .chk with recovered file fragments BUT TomTom is written in Linux which gives a completely other purpose to files ending in .chk.

If you had allowed that for the file data.chk, your application would not have run.

Thanks for the explanation regarding loose chains - I'm glad I chose to ignore them!

I was intereseted to see that having run chkdsk again there was no mention in the results of any loose chains or other errors.

Many thanks for your help and expertise.

That was a good thing not letting it save the loose chains to files. They are NOT loose chains at all.

You see, Windows associates the file extension .chk with recovered file fragments BUT TomTom is written in Linux which gives a completely other purpose to files ending in .chk.

If you had allowed that for the file data.chk, your application would not have run.

I think it's the other way round dhn.... In diskchk, if Windows finds any "loose chains" then it converts them into .chk files and saves them. So that's OK.

It's only later you might get into difficulties if you let another "tidy up" program delete ALL the .chk files, thinking they are all recovered file fragments, when (as we all know) the original ones are your TomTom voices.

Ask a Question