TomTom Home 2 Problem

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I have a GO 730 and am using the latest version on TomTom Home 2 on my Windows 7 computer.
Since the late time that TomTom Home recognized my 730; I have added several drive letters (mostly Network locations)
I have uninstalled TomTom Home restarted the computer and reinstalled but TomTom Home will NOT recognize the 730!! Windows Explorer "knows" the 730 is there (icon and everything). Putting the 730 in the cradle cause the TomTom Home program/window to open but ""Device"" is grayed out

Can anyone offer any hints as to how to fix my problem

!!Thanks!!
Jerry W Thompson
Ft Worth, TX, USA

The usual first suggestion is to press the reset on the bottom of the unit. Then connect to Home and see if it is recognized.

(Head Shake) NO Joy!
Doing the reset got me the indication that the 730 had reset but still same indications from TomTom Home ("Device" grayed out)
What should I try nest ??

Thanks
Jerry W Thompson
Ft. Worth, TX, USA

My computer HP Pavilion HPE 8 (factory new mid Jun?11) has 10 (ten) USB2 ports - four (4) on the ?face? under the sliding door with the media card slots ? two (2) on the top of the computer near the power switch and mic and headphones jacks ? four (4) on the back with other cables
I ?normally? ?plugin? into one of the two on the top using the TomTom Cradle ? I have tried one of the four behind the face door and also one of those on the back ? also tried another USB cable (at/in all sets of ports). Three of the four (USB2) on the back are used (keyboard, mouse and printer) {NOTE: NO external Hubs}
Starting with the TomTom 730 on and the TomTom Home window closed (not just minimized) I get the following 730 ask if I want to connect to computer - the 730 shows a unit with a RED ?X? and the ?thermometer? bar goes across the bottom - the TomTom Home window opens with ?Device? grayed out - Windows Explorer recognizes the 730 (including red hands icon) as ?drive? ?N?
_AND_ (Silly Grin) I have two(2) backup on my computer ""to Prove"" it did at one time work.

I DO appreciate your time trying to assist me with this problem !!!

Try this:
Download the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller from here:
Revo Uninstaller - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

and completely remove Home 2.

Then get a fresh copy from tomtom.com/home and reinstall.

Does the 730 get recognized now? If not, it probably isn't an issue with Home.

So..........

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home and see if the unit is recognized (and an application offered)? If so, download and install the application. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

If not recognized by Home.............

Get the application directly from here:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

and use WinRar to install on the unit.

Now, connect to Home. Any better?

(Silly Grin) Just as soon as I can convince the alligators to _Stop_ snapping a me ? I?ll get back to drain the swamp - Promise ! (smile)
Have a bunch of time sensitive commitments ? probably be a week or so before I can feel comfortable that I can try your suggestions UN-interrupted.

Thanks Again !!
_I_ Will be back !

OK ? I?ve downloaded and installed Revo Uninstaller ? Neat Program! Already on my ?Things to buy me for Christmas or Birthday? List (Smile).

_BUT_ there appears to be one or more files that are _NOT_ getting deleted / cleared. The file(s) where my user name/(eMail address) and password are stored also location of folders (from TomTom Home window select ?Tools? - ?Preferences? - ?Folders?)
How I?ve done - Close TomTom Home - Open Revo Uninstaller Pro - ( then of each of ?TomTom HOME 2.8.2.2264" and ?TomTom HOME Visual Studio Merge Modules? the following) - right click - select ?uninstall? - follow the uninstall prompts - using Scanning Mode: ?Advanced? delete all the Registry Keys found (6-7 (six or seven) for HOME 2.8 and none (zero) for HOME Visual Studio...) - Restart the computer - after downloading from either CNet or TomTom - Install HOME 2.8 - have tried both where I (way back when everything work) installed originally F:\TomTom Home 2 and the default C:\Program Files (x86)\.... {that I total abhor ? but that?s a different thread on a different board} in all case (4-5 (four or five) or so times) my login information comes up as does the non-standard folder location I (way back when) set up F:\TomTom\...
Bottom Line ? {somewhere between _my_ opinion and _Fact_}
IF a ??Clean ReInstall?? brings up _OLD_ data ? (head shake) It AIN?T a clean reinstall
Where do I look for these files / registry keys ??

AGAIN _THANK YOU_ FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND ASSISTANCE !!!

Good point. When I use it, I'm always prompted for an email address.

You are picking the fourth option for uninstalling?

You may wish to try it again.

I?m sorry! But I?m not tracking as to what you?re trying to ask me about the ?fourth option?

I?m using Revo Uninstaller Pro 2.5.3 (trial version) when I right click and select uninstall -or- click on the uninstall icon at the top (after highlighting the program to be uninstalled) I get the same panel with three (3) steps ? #1) automagically create restore point and backup registry ? #2) use the selected program?s uninstall function / module ? #3) scan the registry and ?former? file location(s) for stuff that #2) didn?t get ? Since I?ve got plenty of CPU cycle to spare ((smile) ?hot? / fast computer), I?ve selected the ?Advanced? Scanning mode:which the roll-over help says is the most thorough ?tho slowest scan mode and select all of the Bolded keys/entry it presents me for deletion and well as all file / folder options

(Violent Head Shake) I still at a loss as to where the fourth option you?re referring to is located. Sorry to be so dense.

(Grin) Maybe if you use smaller words and type slower I?ll understand this time!

Thanks for your time and trouble!

By 'fourth', I did mean 'advanced'. The others are 'built in', 'safe' and 'moderate'.

Ask a Question