Problem after changing Battery on 720

Hi Willing and Interested Parties,

I need some help. If possible, I would appreciate any info anyone can offer. I have a 720 gps for about 3 yrs.. I used it
twice. I wanted to start using it again and it was dead. The battery went to the wayside. I went to BestBuy where I purchased the item. They did not sell the battery. They told me it was something like a "registered" or "licensed" battery. Meaning, I had to purchase the battery from a specified vendor.
They gave me the vendor name and website. I purchased the battery needed. Infact, I had to watch a video of how to replace the battery, of which I did.

I charged the unit. I turned it on. Now, the only thing showing in the window is the TomTom logo. That's it. Nothing I press
brings up a start menu, nothing.

Did changing the battery wipe out the programing and maps, etc.? I press the reset button and held it for so many seconds,
but to no avail. Is there anyone out there who would be kind enough to tell me what happened and how to fix it?

THANKS SO MUCH for any help you may offer, Sugarplum [/I][/B][/I][/I]

I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum and changed the title to something more meaningful so that other may offer help.

I charged the unit. I turned it on. Now, the only thing showing in the window is the TomTom logo. That's it. Nothing I press brings up a start menu, nothing.
We'll need to thin out the possibilities a bit.

Start by taking a paper clip or similar and using it to perform a hard reset of the unit by carefully depressing the reset button in the bottom of the unit.

Any change to the results when you try to power on?

I think the OP says he'd pressed the reset button...

Next thing to try is connecting it to a PC with a USB cable.

Does the 720 go into "Connect to computer mode"? and can the PC access the internal storage memory on it as a new "disk drive" in WindowsExplorer?

Thank you SuperModerator Andy,
Yes, you are correct. I have pressed the hard reset and held it. No change in result. After I changed the battery as instructed and the gps didn't work, I went ahead and redownloaded the TomTom program disc, etc. I don't recall all the particulars now, but it must have downloaded successfully, as I didn't have a problem. However, this didn't change the outcome of the gps screen activating with the TomTom wording in the center of the screen and then doing nothing else.
When I go home, I will check the programs again and see if it indicates anything. . . .in the meantime, thank you again, and,
please, keep thinking.

rattay

Hi Canderson,
Thank you for your help. I have tried the hard reset button and holding it down, but unfortunately nothing changed. I even took the old TomTom program off my computer and re-downloaded it all again. . . . Unfortunately, nothing changed from what I posted originally. Please, keep thinking and once again, thank you SuperModerator Canderson

Next thing to try is connecting it to a PC with a USB cable.

Does the 720 go into "Connect to computer mode"? and can the PC access the internal storage memory on it as a new "disk drive" in WindowsExplorer?

i.e Ignoring TT Home, can the TomTom connect to the PC? Can you see the TomTom in windows Explorer?

Ask a Question