Print route?

Hello,

I am new to the Tomtom community. Is there a way to print a route or itinerary stored on the TomTom1 through a PC?

Thanks,

Gianfranco

Only way I can think of is to to a screen shot and print that... but I'm sure someone will jump in any time to let us know. :)

Hello,

I am new to the Tomtom community. Is there a way to print a route or itinerary stored on the TomTom1 through a PC?

Thanks,

Gianfranco
Oh good one! And yes there is... I just can't remeber how off the top of my head...

I'll find it though...

I think... I don't have my ONE with me right now. But if you load your Itin from your TT into TYRE you can then print it out...

The new version of home allows you to COPY TO COMPUTER so you can copy yout Itin easily to the PC then open it in TYRE.

TYRE can be found here

Last edited:
Or you can use TripMaster, export it to Google Earth... from there I know you can print it....

Two questions:

1) Why would one need a printed map of where they are going if they have a PND?

2) IS there a way to print the itn file directly? Without a 3rd-party app... (Spook, wanna field this one?)

Two questions:

1) Why would one need a printed map of where they are going if they have a PND?
LOL. My thoughts exactly..

2) IS there a way to print the itn file directly? Without a 3rd-party app... (Spook, wanna field this one?)
I think you can just open a .itn with Notepad. If not you can definately read/edit it with POIEdit and then save it as a printable (i.e.: .txt) format.

However, an AFAIK and .itn file is just a list of points. The TT software plans a route that connects those points using the road maps that it contains. Printing an itn will not give you a route that you could follow. If you want to print out the details of the route that is calculated by your TT, you can't.

However, you could use the 'screen-dump' technique to capture and print every page of the the text-based route instructions (route summary). If you could be bothered will the effort that is...

However, you could use the 'screen-dump' technique to capture and print every page of the the text-based route instructions (route summary). If you could be bothered will the effort that is...
My thoughts exactly...

Only good reason I can think of is if you are planning a route for someone else and want to give them the directions over the phone. In that case, read it to them aloud, or just take the few minutes to jot it down (or type it!) :)

What's so funny...?

I am wondering why you found my original question about printing a route so unreasonable. There are many scenarios when I can imagine that I would want to have a hard copy of an itinerary, in addition to the navigator, in my car, especially for complex and long itineraries. Sometime I find it easy to quickly flip through pages (or have my passenger do that) than to navigate through several layers of menus.

I found some of the comments and the LOLs posted in response to my request insensitive and patronizing. Not the best way to welcome a new member....

Gianfri, I apologize on behalf of the comments that weren't helpful.

We'll try to find a solution to your question.
Are you looking for text information or a picture layout?
Text information sounds more likely to be easier.

Only good reason I can think of is if you are planning a route for someone else and want to give them the directions over the phone. In that case, read it to them aloud, or just take the few minutes to jot it down (or type it!) :)
Or have the person who doesn't own a PND go to google maps? even if you need to tell someone directions, you can browse route on the TT...

Have you read my previous comment...?

As a Moderator I expect you to do that and be sensitive and sensible.

All I asked was help in printing a route (primarily the text directions). Anything else is not helpful.

Thanks.

As a Moderator I expect you to do that and be sensitive and sensible.

All I asked was help in printing a route (primarily the text directions). Anything else is not helpful.

Thanks.
gianfri, I too apologize if any comment I made was taken offensively. This morning when I logged in it brought me to LAST post, not last unread. I did not see YOUR last post.

I mean no disrespect in any of my comments. I'm here to help, not poke fun.

I do believe I did help when I mentioned TYRE, Tripmaster, and exporting either of those to Google Earth... from there I know for a fact you can print your Itin.

I'm very sorry if you found my other comment (that were not directed at you) as offensive.

Last edited:
How-to

gianfri,

So far I have tested with TYRE and Google Earth for you and it's a little complicated (I say this only becasue I assume you have no 3rd-party software added yet - not as an insult to your intelligence.. With Tripmaster it works better, but you have to actually take the trip FIRST, then export to Google Earth and have a user friendly printable version.

However, I did try the following and this may work for you. It's very simple and requires very little configuration.

fanchee was correct in print screening but I have found a way instead of each turn by turn.

There are may screen printing programs on the market today (I use SnagIt) but The Spook (A member here) has posted an even easier way to get screen-prints off your TT Device. That post is here:
http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?p=4490#post4490

FOLLOW THOSE DIRECTIONS TO THE TEE (I messed up my first attempt)

After you have screendump setup, do the following to get a "printable version" of your Itinerary.Once you have your Itin loaded as if you are going to Navigate there now.
Go to your menu and choose View Route.
1.bmp

Then select Browse as text.
2.bmp

You should get something like this that comes up.
3.bmp

If you have installed the screendump add-on you can now click the upper left corner of your device and wait for the camera-click sound.
This will create a bmp file on your device that we will get to later...

If you have more route to show, click the down arrow on the right side of the screen and you should get something like this:
4.bmp

Mine are set to "Time to instruction" but you can change that by clicking on the Options button in the lower left and choose one of these:
5.bmp

And start the process all over again.

Now... if you have done all that you need to get to the files you just created using the screendump method. Plug your device into your PC/Laptop/MAC and browse to your SD-Card. If you followed Spooks directions correctly you should have a folder called "screen" open that up and you should have a bunch of bmp files. They are all coded in the order you took them. I suggest copying them to your hard drive somewhere then deleting them off your SD-Card... wouldn't want to run out of room on that!!

Now you can print each bmp file. It's not pretty like Google maps or AAA trip tiks, but I think it will work for what you are looking for!!

Please let me know...

battom

Last edited:
Sorry again Gianfri.

Looks like text is what your looking for and I'll try to find a method on obtaining this information.
Do you want it only on itineraries or also general A - B navigation?

Thank you!

Folks,

thank you very much for your instructions! I am sorry if I snapped a bit, but I do not like when I feel that people are trying to tell me that my question is "silly" and I should not even want to do what I have been trying to do... Perhaps it is a reflection of some experience at the workplace, where I have some IT gurus tell me that if that software does not do the job for me, there is something wrong with ME and the way I organize my job, not with the software!

Anyway, apologies accepted, and you are being very friendly and patient, which I really appreciate.

In fact, believe or not, I tend to be quite technology-literate. I though that from the HOME program there could be a way to view and perhaps print the files from the TT1, which in my mind could be a reasonable feature to include. When I did not find how to d that that I decided to ask for help on this forum.

The BMP solution can work, if a bit cumbersome. Right now I am really looking only for a way to print the text of the route. If anyone has other ideas please let me know.

Thank you again for your help,

GIanfranco

I though that from the HOME program there could be a way to view and perhaps print the files from the TT1, which in my mind could be a reasonable feature to include.
I searched and searched and searched for a way to do exactly what you say as I thought "that would be a cool feature" myself.

Not to worry, we have enough gurus here that might actually be able to make that add-on for you!!! Just be patient... we'll figure something out.

Ask a Question