Printable trip logging?

Hello, folks!

I'm quite exasperated at this point - I've been doing a fair amount of web searching and have not yet found a clear answer to what I need to know.

I'm a social worker. My job requires a fair amount of driving, which I am reimbursed for. Our company was recently acquired by another larger company. They now want us to Mapquest everywhere we go. This is ludicrous, I'd have to submit a ream of paper with my mileage sheet.

Now, I know I can buy a GPS trip logger. However, I'd already been toying with the idea of buying an affordable GPS navigator for my car for personal use anyway.

So, the question is...is there an affordable GPS navigator that I could buy that would allow me to log each leg of my trip and then print said log out? Is this a matter of finding the right software, the right GPS, or both? Any help I can get with this question would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I assume you have to maintain a log of the places you visit. At the end of the day use Tyre and Google Maps to create an itinerary of your day's travel. While in Google Maps you can print the turn by turn itinerary with distances and times.

you might want to try event logger. truly the black box for the tomtom.

shows everywhere you go, every stop, how long you stopped, speed etc etc. Once installed it does this without any need for user intervention. great program!

I haven't tried to print from this program but it shouldn't be any problem to do that.

'+'

If I read it correctly, Event Logger creates an itinerary file. If that is so, at the end of the day you could connect your TomTom to your PC, launch Tyre, open the itinerary file, take it into Google Maps and print the report. I will try it and report back.

Using internet explorer, navigate to the "itn" folder and open the trk file of the correct date/time.

example file name...... Trk_09-09-07_16-13-34.xml

this is a file with an xml extension.

then just follow through with the prompts accepting each. (allow scripts and blocked content)

this then takes you directly to google maps where you see your route outlined. directly below the map event logger lists all the detail you will ever need.

also, I just checked and you can print out the map.

Much better than using tyre IMHO.

note: if you copy the files to another folder on your computer, you need to include the gpx.xsl file from the itn folder on the tomtom to allow the translation.

Last edited:
The cleanest implementation of that feature is in the Navigon 7200's and the Telenav Shotgun. Both allow for a one-button tap to begin logging mileage and travel stats for business per trip. Both allow exporting in an Excel spreadsheet. There are better overall devices for navigation, but for your particular use these may be a good match. Note that Navigon has pulled out of North America on their pnd support, but the devices are still available. Personally I'd probably look at the Shotgun for that specific need. Unfortunately I don't know anyplace to look at one prior to purchase. Only sold at the Telenav website afaik.

Thanks for all of the wonderful feedback, guys.

The Telenav shotgun looks like the easiest solution, however its a bit out of my price range. I'll probably look into using Event Logger or Tyre once I decide on a unit to purchase. Thanks again for all the help!

Since I am not a donor re event logger, I can't get the latest version 8.2. It appears that version 8.1 does not work with NavCore 8.35. I have installed it and activated the screen hotspot to log current position, but nothing has been added to the itn folder. Once 8.2 is available I'll try it again.

Ask a Question