Building footprints are flat

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL & GO 740 LIVE
Yesterday, for the first time in a long time, I drove to Chicago rather than taking the train. Of course I picked the first snow storm of the season to do so but that's another story.

The last time I drove downtown I still had my 630 and I remember the building footprints being shown similar to this image.

tomtom_9402.jpg

When I drove around the city yesterday, however, the building footprints were flat.

dump1554422681.bmp

Any idea why that is? It doesn't bother me too much because I don't drive in the city too often and out in the burbs, building footprints aren't shown anyway. Just thought someone may know if it has something to do with the new map or if there's another reason.

Initial thoughts.......

TomTom is having a heck of a time 'squishing' all relevant navigational information into each succeeding map update, with the highesr priority being new or altered roads, of course. Also, more IQ routing data and ALG gets added where possible. Sometimes TT succeeds and, as we've seen from users who suffer the 'no room' syndrome, sometimes TT fails.

When it adds data, it's gotta remove non navigational data once there. The first to go are the cosmetic thingies, like better graphics of non road stuff like lakes and streams, fewer segments in curvy roads making them appear straighter, stuff like that.

So, wouldn't be surprised if some 3-D rendering was removed at all. Doesn't affect navigating but, as you point out, just doesn't look as nice.

Initial thoughts.......

TomTom is having a heck of a time 'squishing' all relevant navigational information into each succeeding map update, with the highesr priority being new or altered roads, of course. Also, more IQ routing data and ALG gets added where possible. Sometimes TT succeeds and, as we've seen from users who suffer the 'no room' syndrome, sometimes TT fails.

When it adds data, it's gotta remove non navigational data once there. The first to go are the cosmetic thingies, like better graphics of non road stuff like lakes and streams, fewer segments in curvy roads making them appear straighter, stuff like that.

So, wouldn't be surprised if some 3-D rendering was removed at all. Doesn't affect navigating but, as you point out, just doesn't look as nice.

Makes complete sense. Thanks for your thoughts. When you're driving in Chicago you really don't have all that much time to look at a nice 3D rendering of a building you might be driving by anyway. I suppose this change was introduced with the 840 map then. Can anyone confirm?

Actually, this issue seems to be connected to the navcore rather than the map. I checked on app 8.371 and there the 840 map does show the building footprint in 3D.

Ask a Question