Drive past military building - wont allow me to drive on public road

Q. My TomTom is being very clever and wont allow me to drive past a military listening post when planning my route.:mad:

It saves me 10 mins if I am able to select the route and use it frequently does anybody know a way of altering the settings so I can use the road which is a public road?:)

I cant even navigate via the road it just tells me to reverse halfway up the road - the road appears white and I have checked it has speed / direction / links all correct.

I have spoken to TomTom helpdesk in the US and they said they cant help but suspect its because of the military building.

As i'm local and not planing a terrorist attack on a listening post - I would appreciate if anyone can email me an upgrade??? possibly as a private post to allow me to plan my route past this installation.

As a additional topic of debate dont you think it makes it more obvious that its a listening post when u cant select the road - then it tells u turn round on the road until u go just past the listening post and then it replans - same the other way when u drive it tells u turn around until u drive past it then it replans.

I know this is an american forum and I am in the UK where we are probably a bit more relaxed about terrorism but its really annoying especially as its 10 mins on my journey

Thanks all - and just for added creeping points to you all - congratulations to the US football team who did very well in the Olympics. As I am english GB cant have a football team :( unless we field a Great Britain team of just English players - Not a problem for me but for the rest of the home nations a bit of a pain.

Create an itinerary and plot the travel points along the road and see if that works.

I am the owner of the device - posting last in 2008

Tom Tom nor the mapping company would return the courtesy of any calls made or emails sent.

The device is beyond useless.

I appreciate the suggestion to map the route via an itineray but this will not work as the map has a break designed to prevent road users with sat navs from using the route.

The obvious tell tale signs and the fact that it saves 15 minutes on journey times makes this ill thought out....

Ideally I would love to:-

a. hack my map data to join the road
b. upload a new map which will allow me to use my device correctly

As technology seems so advanced with hacking in russia maybe I could sell them the information in return for them fixing my 'crappy' device.

Create an itinerary and plot the travel points along the road and see if that works.

Will not work as the road has been designed to have a break preventing the road from joining allowing the device to route using this road

Interestingly my old account was deleted from the forums.....

Who would you guys suggest I contact the Russian embassy in London and ask for the technical support team.....

Also update to my previous post for London 2012 we were able to field a soccer team - any chance you guys can fix my device now :)

Sorry but I really don't know what you are talking about.

If you have a concern, call CS at:

United Kingdom
0845 161 0009
or 020 7387 5444

Monday-Friday:
9:00am to 5:30pm GMT

Going back to your original post from 2008... how about actually TELLING US where this road is, so we can see what the situation is like on more recent maps?

I very much doubt that any military paranoia is causing your problem, otherwise there would be a lot more places where it happened, wouldn't there?
It's far more likely to be a simple mapping error which may very well have been corrected by now, (in the intervening 5 years!).

I don't think so... it is still showing as active. You can see "TomTom User" under the avatar in the first post and if you click on the Avatar it takes you to your original profile page. Sure you didn't just forget your password?

However, as we try to avoid people having multiple log-ins, would you like us to delete it for you now?

Finally, I've no idea why you keep talking about football, but there are plenty of UK based regulars here, so it's not a wholly US-centric forum.

I have spoken to TomTom helpdesk in the US and they said they cant help but suspect its because of the military building.

I know this is an american forum and I am in the UK where we are probably a bit more relaxed about terrorism but its really annoying especially as its 10 mins on my journey
Care to elaborate why you called the TomTom US Customer Support when the problem raised by you is in the UK?

I agree with Andy_P. Any sensible pursuit would require the location of the road you are not able drive through.

Without giving away personal information it is very easy to supply specifics.:
Open Google maps, put your mouse on the spot of the road you cannot traverse, right click, then click on What's here? Please post the resulting coordinates. Do the same thing with the other end of the road where it does not allow you to pass.

Indeed. If we had a clue about the location, we could check for discontinuities, turn restrictions, whatever. As it is .. well, it's all just peeing into the wind.

why contact tomtom US

Thats an easy question to answer as I raised the question 3 times to the UK who failed to answer me with any response

So I called by phone TomTom in the US and asked them if they could help and they after thinking on it told me to contact teleatlas, again that was where it eneded.

When I get the chance later I will upload the google map co-ordinates

Thanks.....

Ok as requested

Here is the road......

51.928376,-0.481864

From the aerial map it shows a grass bank but there is actual a hidden structure underneath

All I would like to do is to be able to drive down this road.... Can we download Cartopia to make map edits

Multiple accounts

I tried requesting the password for the email associated to the account and it just kept giving me an error on the page ?

Going back to your original post from 2008... how about actually TELLING US where this road is, so we can see what the situation is like on more recent maps?

I very much doubt that any military paranoia is causing your problem, otherwise there would be a lot more places where it happened, wouldn't there?
It's far more likely to be a simple mapping error which may very well have been corrected by now, (in the intervening 5 years!).

I don't think so... it is still showing as active. You can see "TomTom User" under the avatar in the first post and if you click on the Avatar it takes you to your original profile page. Sure you didn't just forget your password?

However, as we try to avoid people having multiple log-ins, would you like us to delete it for you now?

Finally, I've no idea why you keep talking about football, but there are plenty of UK based regulars here, so it's not a wholly US-centric forum.

the road

Indeed. If we had a clue about the location, we could check for discontinuities, turn restrictions, whatever. As it is .. well, it's all just peeing into the wind.

There are none of the above - turn restrictions whatever as you put it, instead the road has been mapped with a deliberate break in the road of about 10 metres and then it recalculates again but this prevents you from routing as the road is not continuous

Hope you don't feel like I have for been that I have been pissing in the wind as I have been trying to resolve this for many years

If it helps

I would like to route from Houghton Regis to Bedford via Streatley

When I try to do this I end up being sent into Luton, instead I am looking to turn off the A6 at Streatley via Lower Sundon into Houghton Regis.....

Travelling this way is approximately 15 minutes quicker than other journeys but when planning any route where I would benefit from this route I am sent either via Luton or via Marston Moretaine (J13 of the M1)

As the map used is not correct I am tempted to try loading a different road map if one is available as all my research indicates that it is not possible to download map editing software

Cartopia i believe is needed to make edits

There are no tools available for a consumer to edit any of TomTom maps. You can make corrections using mapshare to unblock roads that appear to be blocked, though.

Here is the road......

51.928376,-0.481864
From the aerial map it shows a grass bank but there is actual a hidden structure underneath

That is not the the exact point of the "break":

Paranoia_1.JPG

It actually occurs on the NE side of the junction with the turning that goes off to the west at N51.92612 W0.48528, as you can see here when in the zoomed in view of "Map corrections":

Paranoia_2.JPG

You say that it is NOT down to any turn restrictions, but in fact *it is*, and I was able to correct it using the standard TomTom MapShare system in a few seconds.
I went to "Change turn restrictions, and at first I got this warning:

Paranoia_3.JPG

But if I continued...

Paranoia_4.JPG

Paranoia_5.JPG

That takes me to:

Paranoia_6.JPG

And I was able to simply change the "straight on" direction at the junction (by tapping on the icon at the bottom right)....

Paranoia_7.JPG

....and it now routes that way perfectly OK:

Paranoia_8.JPG

Job jobbed.

Nothing sinister or mysterious about it, just a mapping error like many others we've seen.
I've shared it on MapShare, but if a few others make the correction too, it will show up on other people's devices that much quicker.

Last edited:
Well done Andy! Map planning errors are frequently caused by not zooming in close enough for accuracy (e.g. TYRE waypoints).

The trick is to use the Map Corrections view, as that can 'zoom in' significantly closer than the normal map view. :)

Well done, Andy. Now .. if the OP will return to see your means of correction, the thread can finally be put to rest!

Ask a Question