xl building number question

TomTom Model(s)
xl
hi

I am new to TomTom and kinda got stuck on something that is no doubt easy but since I still can't seem to figure it out hope someone might know

I live in NYC area and was try to nav to a address in Queens, it took the st fine, but when i entered the building that is when i got stuck

the building address was like xx-xx. I had no idea of how to enter a dash, seems simply not entering the dash (like xxxx) didn't work. I tried a dozen other address on the same block no dice

so how do you enter a dash ?

thanks

TomToms don't handle dashes in an address.

Can you give an example here of a specific address you are trying?

The address you're trying to work with is probably a bit more nuanced than a simple numerical sequence, and the TomTom can't handle that sort of street number. For example, the maority of street numbers in Hawaii are of the form 94-405 Somestreet wherein the 9 indicates which island the address is located on and the first 4 further narrows the geographical region. TomTom simply rejects the input of ANY version of this address form including the use of only the last three digits. I understand some places in the midwest also incorporate compass directions into street numbers (as in W or N) and these are rejected, too. Users have been contacting TomTom for some time about this problem and get a canned answer along the lines of "We're working on it."

address

Hi

thanks very much for the responces

Mikesp hope your incorrect, as MANY address will require me to enter something like the below if i can't do that then i can't use the tomtom to effectively /easily naviagate I am s tarting to feel a bit of buyers remorse

DHN

83-12 72nd Drive
Glendale, NY 11385 is the exact address I wanted to see my google/mapquest and garmin found it as is no problemo . I did try on my xl just to try 8312 but no dice, once i got there i tried several building alone 72nd drive all w/the same issue

then as is nearly all of queens has addresses like xx-xx street so I guess that would be tought

(BTW just as an aside, Glendale is a section of Queens which also wasn't recgonized by the tomtom) So i simply put in queens which it liked, but as in my telenav,garmin/the acura built in unit/ google etc seemed to be fine w/either))

no complaigning just trying to learn if there is a work around or if perhaps i overlooked something simple

again thanks very much, and any help is greatly appreciated :)

Photo, it may be too late now but a suggestion.......

If you are on the street again, go to QuickHelp for 'Where Am I?' and see what the unit shows as an address format for where it thinks you are.........

I'm pretty surprised that TomTom has never addressed (pun) the alpha-numeric addy entry problem. I've used the HP310, Navigon 7200, Magellan 4350 and several Garmins. Every one of them allows a mix of numbers, letters and dashes. But not so with even the newest TomTom's, and it seems like it would be such a simple change.

EDIT: It's definitely not a map issue. The HP offered mixed entry and uses TA maps.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, did you try it without the "-"?

I found an 8312 72nd Drive, Glendale, NY 11385 which on the map looks like the same location as I found it on Mapquest. Mapquest dropped the "-" which I entered.

Google Maps found it in Queens, if I didn't include the "-". And, it matches Mapquest & my Tomtom.

If I included it, Google Maps asked me if I meant 89-12 72nd Ave, Queens, Queens, NY 11385, 72nd Dr, Queens, Queens, NY, or 71-12 72nd Pl, Queens, Queens, NY 11385.

address

yes it's way to late for me to use the xl to see where i was in queens but i'll try it if i ever go back

what is odd is that i figured i'd try find the cross st which seems to offer more choices for things like special characters and definately a - but seems on the main find pannel it dosn't offer the - as an option

all of this is odd really wish i woulda known i'ld be inclined to give it away and buy another brand but i figure it might have it's own set of issues :)

to the guy that said it found it on his tomtom, what model tomtom are you using ?? and did you enter the address EXACTLY as i had it queens is notoriously bad for having VERY simular address and all nearby ex 72st 72 drive near 72lane etc etc so not having a savvy gps rig is tough

maybe they will do a - update i would think something like that would have solicited enough complingts from people but perhaps i am in a minority

I would be happy if it took the addy w/o the dash

really appreciate all those that responded guess i am in the ball park now and no at least i am not crazy just SOL

I was in queens a month ago.

You key in the number without a dash. eg: 6250 Roosevelt Ave. Found addresses perfectly for me.

If you ever need to know the address of a location, go to browse map and click on the spot. You'll see numbers in blue/black that represent the numbers at each intersection (or even smaller road segment). Tomtom evenly spaces the addresses between those spots.

spaces

to the many that asked or mentioned did i try w/o the spaces YES that was in my original (and subsequent) posts and was my entire point that putting in the addy w/o the spaces didn't work

Interesting idea to do a browse not really sure how to do that didn't seem that there was a way to do it from the enter address screen just got the tomtom so i'll have to look it up

if it's easy might be a work around but unless tomtom replies to my email about this in a over whelminly positive way i'll see a unit that has this basic functionality i think i dunno for sure I really like the other tomtom features thou i might just want to get another unit

and tomtom really integrates nicely with apple mac osx

thanks

Last edited:

Ask a Question