Printing Intinerary????

I have created many .itn files using Tyre (great program by the way !) for my Route 66 trip this summer. While the precise turn-by-turns look good when I view them in Tyre, I want to see how TomTom (510 by the way) actually handles them. Is there a way to print out or show the actual turn by turns that TomTom will create based upon my .itn?

I think you can load the Itn then go into view route on your TT and there you will have a few options to to view your turn by turn. As for printing it I don't believe you can. however if you go to Google maps.com you can put in the same route and print it from there. You can also if you chose to copy the link from google maps into
this program (Tomtom and Google ) and save it to you TT. it will then open up with Tyre & TT

As long as you understand the route decided by Google may NOT be the actual route selected by the TomTom in getting to the various waypoints of the itinerary. TT's routing algorith still decides HOW to get from WP1 to WP2, etc.

The more waypoints you put in (max = 48/itn), the less chance for TT to deviate from the route Google maps selected.

As long as you understand the route decided by Google may NOT be the actual route selected by the TomTom in getting to the various waypoints of the itinerary. TT's routing algorith still decides HOW to get from WP1 to WP2, etc.

The more waypoints you put in (max = 48/itn), the less chance for TT to deviate from the route Google maps selected.

That was my concern, making sure TomTom generated the same route as Tyre/Google maps. Most of my files have a significant number of Waypoints to hopefully generate the desired route. However, as you say, TomTom decides. It this that decision I want to know :)

Anyway to import an .itn file into the online Route Planner?

Thanks for the input.

If you load your ITN file from your TT into Tyre you can then view it 0n google map or google earth

one thing that I have found is if you leave IQ routing turned on TT will make it's own rout and it may not be the same as Google /Tyre but if your turn off IQ routing when TT doesn't generate the same route as goggle I have found that TT will take the ITN file and generate it as you chose it with Google or Tyre.

I have tried this a couple of times ( with a 2000 kl / 1240mile/ trip ) while using Google and dragging the route where I wanted to go nad then converting it to an ITN file it worked fine.

However I did have to disable IQ routing for this to work the way I wanted.

Last edited:
That was my concern, making sure TomTom generated the same route as Tyre/Google maps. Most of my files have a significant number of Waypoints to hopefully generate the desired route. However, as you say, TomTom decides. It this that decision I want to know.
If printing from Google maps, cut out the middle man and print while still in Tyre.

I have a genuine dislike for multi Waypoint ITNs.
Here is a thought, make a custom POI category _Route66
Turn each of your current Waypoints into a POI, using TYRE to rename them. W01; W02, etc. unless all your combined Waypoints for the trip count over 99, in which case you start with W001.

If printing from Google maps, cut out the middle man and print while still in Tyre.

I have a genuine dislike for multi Waypoint ITNs.
Here is a thought, make a custom POI category _Route66
Turn each of your current Waypoints into a POI, using TYRE to rename them. W01; W02, etc. unless all your combined Waypoints for the trip count over 99, in which case you start with W001.

What's the advantage, just that I can get more POIs than Waypoints? I have about 19 .itn files, most with 40+ Waypoints for a 15 day trip.

Also, if they are POIs, how do you get a route created?

Thx

The advantage is that you do not have to worry if TomTom follows a Google map as you just tap
Navigate to >
Point of Interest >
POI near you >
tap the _Route66 icon >
tap the first, second or third POI as the (your) next (Way) point.

Because POIs are sorted by distance to current location, your next destination should always be right at or near the top, where ever you are on your trip.

What's the advantage, just that I can get more POIs than Waypoints? I have about 19 .itn files, most with 40+ Waypoints for a 15 day trip.
No, dhn told you that you can have 48 Waypoints per itinerary. That means you could add another 872 with your 19 ITNs.

Last edited:

Ask a Question