Previews of current maps

Is there a site where I can "preview" the most current maps (8.25?) for the TomTom One 3rd edition?
I have the 7.xx maps which are pretty good, but there are a few obvious holes that need filled. I don't mind purchasing the new map IF it has a few of the missing roads on it. But I have been amazed to find some busy roads that are over 20 years old that are NOT on the 7.0 map...
I can't seem to find anywhere on the TT site for this.
It seems they want you buy a pig in a poke, and hope for the best.

Go to maps.google.com.

The google map is the same as the tomtom, but google is 3 months newer. If the road you need is on google, you'll get it with the next (830?) map. If you post the location, people here can see if it is already in version 825.

I am not sure but doesn't Google Maps also have there own corrections?

Wouldn't using http://routes.tomtom.com/ be a better alternative.

I remember reading some people saying 8.25 had some areas more updated than Google.
I never did however hear how those areas appeared on TomTom's Route Planner.

Is there a site where I can "preview" the most current maps (8.25?) for the TomTom One 3rd edition?
Part of TeleAtlas' website is devoted to user corrections. It's called, Map Insite. There, you can manually enter corrections & get an idea of how the next map will look.

In my experience, it doesn't match 100% with the release maps, because I've found some of my own MapShare updates in Map 825, which don't appear on the Map Insite page.

Very interesting. I like the idea of having google as a baseline for maps. I gather that the move to google based maps is one of the changes between the 7.x and 8.x maps? I found the 7.x maps were a long way from google.
The MapsInsight link is quite neat.
Do the new maps still work with "MapShare"? I really liked the theory behind this but it seemed only marginally useful to me in Canada.

Teleatlas is the map vendor that supplies both google and tomtom. The only other major map vendor is Navteq, which supplies Garmin and Yahoo maps.

Teleatlas released their 2008.10 map release last October, which is now tomtom map 825. Teleatlas released the 2009.02 map release last February, which should be the May tomtom map update.

I identified a few differences in the maps, and have calculated that:
- Map 825 is at the 2008.10 level. Map 825 has additional mapshare updates that the 2008.10 base map doesn't have
- Tomtom online route planner is at the 2008.10 level. You need to register for the beta wait list, but everyone seems to be approved after 1-2 days. I did not see the additional mapshare updates on the online route planner.
- Teleatlas map insight shows you a map at the 2009.02 level
- Google maps shows the 2009.02 level

Also, tomtom recently bought teleatlas, but from my experience they haven't yet fully integrated operations. Tomtom still applies mapshare-based improvements onto the base teleatlas map, before releasing a "tomtom map".

However, integration is slowly happening. 2009.02 is the first time teleatlas used the "submit anonmyous data" feature of the tomtoms, to take all the tomtom user's driving history to fix their maps. If you have a missing road, make sure your anonymous data setting is turned on, drive the road frequently, and plug in and update via home often.

Last edited:
However, integration is slowly happening. 2009.02 is the first time teleatlas used the "submit anonmyous data" feature of the tomtoms, to take all the tomtom user's driving history to fix their maps. If you have a missing road, make sure your anonymous data setting is turned on, drive the road frequently, and plug in and update via home often.
Wow, I didn't realize those stats were used that way. I'll have to check that box, as I drive all of those roads in my area "frequently!"

Thanks to all your replies to this. I have purchased the new maps and am delighted that they plug a number of the holes in my regular travels.

Ask a Question