POI's

TomTom Model(s)
Can anyone tell what type of format the poi's on a 630 uses? on my old 510 it used a cv2, is there another format that is used on the 630?

I downloaded some poi's from "POI Factory", but now when I search my POI's the first group have no icons just a red box, the POI names start with a period then the name of that POI, ie; ".mcdonalds" when I click on that POI it shows no POIs

Last edited by a moderator:
All TomTom devices new and old use the ov2 format for the POI files, a POI file comprises of two parts:

ov2 file contains the data which is location, name and possibly phone number
bmp file which is the icon, this should be 22x22 pixel size

The ov2 and bmp files MUST be named identically, all the POI files are then put in your currently active map folder, probably named "North_America" - Mike

Can anyone tell what type of format the poi's on a 630 uses? on my old 510 it used a cv2, is there another format that is used on the 630?

I downloaded some poi's from "POI Factory", but now when I search my POI's the first group have no icons just a red box, the POI names start with a period then the name of that POI, ie; ".mcdonalds" when I click on that POI it shows no POIs

Are you using a Mac?

I read somewhere that Macs screw up the naming convention of files sometime and add a . before the actual name.

If you installed them originally using a Mac then I would suggest removing the files from the TomTom and re-installing using a PC would be a better option - Mike

Ghost POI's

I was able to delete the poi's however the "ghost" (with the red box that start with a period) would not delete.

Am I missing something? or do I have to format the "memory drive". If so how do I do that?

Last question, what is the small memory chip on the bottom of the unit for? Is that where everything is stored or is there an internal memory area?

As long as you have a full backup then you can format the device to wipe any files that are being persistant, then re-install the backup to the device, the small memory card fitted in the slot is actually a blank to prevent dirt getting in the slot, you can fit a memory card up to and including 32GB should you want to store additional maps on the device (4GB is usually plenty large enough for a few maps), as it stands everything is stored on the internal Flash memory - Mike

Ask a Question