POI Corrections

TomTom Model(s)
possibly a XXL 540TM
I have downloaded a Costco gas station POI off of TTHome. Yesterday I tested it and it took me to within 100yards of the station. Problem is the 100yds had a wall in-between me and the station.

To properly reach the station I should have been directed to the next street, which is the Costco parking lot street entrance.

Are these community made POIs changeable, error reportable, or can shareable map correction be made for others? There is no contact information on the DL area for the POI so I?m not sure if anything can be done. If sharable corrections can be made I would add a street then properly dot its position and share it. If I am not mistaken, Map Share is not fully functional at this time so maybe I should just forget it???

Anybody know how to go about this with a 540TM?

If you Manage pois, select the category, I think there is an edit function available .... I think :confused:

It can't be done using mapshare.

I am not sure what you mean so I googled ?manage tomtom poi?.

It looks like there are editors out there to modify a poi package. So if I learned how to do this I would need to upload my update POI package back to TTHome so everybody else would gain access to my change. In this case there would be multiple poi download packages out there now for Costco gas.

Is this correct or did you mean a different type of approach?

So I tap change preferences>manage pois>edit poi>poi near you>Costco gas>costco gas san fran.

Then pressing the edit at the bottom the screen allows me to change the name of the poi on the first screen and the phone# on the second screen... then that is it. I can not position the POI anyway on the map I can see. Am I doing it wrong?

No, guess not. I guess it was the Go series where the application allows for the moving of pois and I think that was for the built-in set.

Sorry........

No, guess not. I guess it was the Go series where the application allows for the moving of pois and I think that was for the built-in set.

Sorry........
Um.. possibly still managed under "Map corrections" - "Correct a map error" - Blue Arrow - "Edit POI"

Thanks for the tip Canderson,

I am able to do a ?map? instead of a POI correction to add a street and move the resident gas station icon to its proper place. However there does not seem to be an area for me to re-enter the function to review my change. Me thinks this stuff is pretty half baked. It probably makes no sense to dwell on it as Mapshare has still yet to come online to the public anyway.

The TT device did say my change was to be included with my next mapshare upload so I did do at least something right even if the functionality is still un-operational.

Maybe we will take this topic up again somewhere down the road.

When using third party POI files the only way to change the data is loacal on your device unless the owner of the site you are downloading the files from has an active interest in getting the data as correct as possible.

One site I use for custom POI files is pocketgpsworld because they do actively encourage user participation in correcting errors/ adding new locations etc.

Get in touch with the site you get the POI files from and see if they are interested in making their data better - Mike

When using third party POI files...
Oops. BZZZZT. Bad answer. Sorry. Neglected to read his original post carefully and that his Costco stations were 3rd party POI. Ignore my previous suggestion except when modifying POI data that comes from TomTom with the maps.

One site I use for custom POI files is pocketgpsworld because they do actively encourage user participation in correcting errors/ adding new locations etc.

This is exactly what I am looking for. I am going there now and sign up.

Since I downloaded the POIs from TTHome but knew they were community uploads I assumed they should be considered 3rd party components, right?

Ask a Question