POI Accuracy!?!

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 910
How do you ensure that the POI files you create are accurate? Is there any way to "automate" this process instead of manually looking up each and every entry in the .ov2 file?

How do you guys validate your data or do you? I ask because I've noticed in creating my own using "My POI" and "POI Edit" that a number of them aren't very accurate. Anyone know of a way to pull this data directly from Google Earth and save the data as a .csv or .ov2 file?

Bryan

It's not just the accuracy of the address but of the map too. One of my friend's house that I saved on my TT is dead on. When I stopped in front of his house, I was right over the "finish line" icon. However, at another friend's house, it was off by 10 metres. It was 40 house numbers away.

Off By 10mt Or 50

It's not just the accuracy of the address but of the map too. One of my friend's house that I saved on my TT is dead on. When I stopped in front of his house, I was right over the "finish line" icon. However, at another friend's house, it was off by 10 metres. It was 40 house numbers away.
THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MAP BUT THE SATELITES . THE ACURACY IS USALLY NOT MORE THE ABOUT 30 MT WHEN YOU HAVE ALL SATS LOCKED IN. IF IT'S CLOUDY ETC. YOU SAY 40 HOUSE NUMBERS AWAY.....HMM IF YOU ARE IN HEAVY POPULATED AREA IT'S NOT BAD IT COULD BE NO MORE THAN 30MTS IF YOU DO IT IN THE STICKS 40 HOUSE NUMBERS COULD BE MILES AWAY!

Extract Data

Ugh... :-( I wonder if there is an automated way to extract the data from a given site to build a POI?

Bryan

TRY THIS: GO TO GOOGLE SEARCH,THEN TYPE TACO BELL STORE LOCATOR,
IT WILL GIVE A STORE LOCATOR PAGE TYPE IN YOUR ZIP AND ENTER......
IT'L GIVE YOU ALL TACO BELL STORES IN YOUR AREA BY MILES IN RANGE.
SOME GIVE YOU 5MILES 10-20 30 UP TO 50MILES. THEN JUST INSERT THE ADDRESS IN YOUR TOMTOM .WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT CAN BE FOUND USEING THIS:www.poi2go.com

Automate w/ MS Streets and Trips and POIConverter

I just ordered my TT One and should be getting it later this week. While waiting for it I thought I would get up speed on available free POIs and what it takes to create some of my own (this is a great forum btw).

Jewel-Osco is one of two major grocery store chains in Chicago, IL. I used their store locator with a 50 mile radius to grab the addresses of all their stores in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas (ended up with about 190 stores) and copied/pasted into Excel.

I imported them directly from Excel into Microsoft Streets and Trips. Streets and Trips will try to match the address with the data in their system (Navteq and GDT based, I believe). It matched all but 15 addresses (sounded pretty good to me) so I chose to ignore the unmatched ones. I than saved the file in the standard format for Streets and Trips (.est). I opened the file in POIConvertor, imported the .est file, and used POIConvertor it to create the TomTom .ov2 file type. Everything seemed to go off without a hitch. Now I just wonder how many stores will be in Lake Michigan? Thas was very easy and would be quick if I started with a list of addresses.

Anyone try a similar approach? How good/bad will the POIs turn out?

Has anyone emailed large store chains to see if they would supply their address data? It is publicly available and it can only help them (may drive some business literally to their door).

Nice work on the search and editing. To make things easier, try out POI2Go. This is a POI search engine and will convert the resutls in .ov2 file.

Ask a Question