Phonebook Entries?

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
I just purchased my TomTom Go720 a few weeks ago. I noticed when I linked my cell phone to it and got all my phone numbers from my phone it transferred everything over including the Names.

Since I have recieved a few updates and now I notice that I only get the phone numbers and not the names attached to it. Does anyone know why that is or how to fix it.

I do realize that I can go into the Contacts.txt file in Explorer and type then all in but that would be time consuming since I know that it did it before?

Thanks
Brian

Should be an option to 'retrieve phonebook entries' or something of the like on the mobile phone screen, just click that and let it re-download :)

So are you thinking that it is my phone that is not sending over all the information then?
There is a setting on my phone that allows it to recieve not only the numbers but the contacts name also?

Thanks
Brian

it just doesn't 'auto update' i think

just gotta hit that button me thinks, try it see if it works :)

No it doesn't work anymore?

I just tried deleting the phone and then installing it again, I retrieved all the phone book entries once again and it still just comes up with the phone numbers and no contact names.

I know a few weeks ago, before I received any updates it worked, not sure why it doesn't now.

I guess I will just have to do it all manually with the text file.

Thanks

perhaps thats a work around, might need to ask tomtom, or perhaps someone else has an answer, it's 11:48pm most people sleeping me thinks

I just posted on this problem in the 8.3 thread, and then noticed this thread. I believe it is a quirk of 8.3, as I had copied my phone book over to my Blackberry with no problems in several applications up through 8.01.

I copied the contact file over from a backup and the names were there, but the numbers are in very small type now.

Since it appears to be 8.3, will probably have to use workarounds unit it is (hopefully) fixed.

Thanks GAW,

I wasn't sure if it was just me since I just got my TomTom a few weeks ago. And then I updated it with TomTom with the map guarantee.

I just remember looking once at my phonebook and seeing all the names and then now it just shows numbers.

Hopefully they will notice this error and come out with a fix?

Brian,

If you have not done so, try copying the files in "contacts" over - I did and got the names back (if you have a copy or backup of course).

There are a number of problesm with 8.3 - so at some point they will get it fixed - but no way to know when. One poster indicated that maybe next week - we will see.

Just got my 720.

Updated to 8.3, set up Bluetooth connection to my Nokia E71, set up data connection to phone as well.

Did the transfer of contacts from phone to TT. Problem is even though all the phone numbers are there, the names for the contacts are in various stages of incompleteness.

There are a lot of contact names that just read as "@"

Some have nothing, some have partial names and then '

Any ideas on this?

Know issue with 8.3 update:mad: .. here is the workaround

Hook your TomTom to the computer.
Go to the TomTom drive in "My Computer"
Go inside the "Contacts" folder. (If it is not there, create the folder.
Inside the folder create a file called "contacts.txt"
Use notepad to open the file.
Create a list in the following format:

"Name","phone number"

Example:

"Bob Barker","1112223333"
"Sheena Easton","4445556666"

Know issue with 8.3 update:mad: .. here is the workaround

Hook your TomTom to the computer.
Go to the TomTom drive in "My Computer"
Go inside the "Contacts" folder. (If it is not there, create the folder.
Inside the folder create a file called "contacts.txt"
Use notepad to open the file.
Create a list in the following format:

"Name","phone number"

Example:

"Bob Barker","1112223333"
"Sheena Easton","4445556666"

That's what I was afraid of!

Thanks!

I have the same problem when transferring contact details from my Blackberry Bold to a Tomtom 720. With the old Tomtom operating system the transfer worked okay. After I upgraded to 8.3 then when I update I just get just the numbers. Not much use!

The only workaround I can see is to create a contacts.txt file as mikegoldnj suggests i.e.

"Name","Number","DEFAULT"

And then transfer the txt file to the tomtom

It's a pain to do this by exporting from Outlook and then to Access where I create the txt file.

Hopefully Tomtom will fix this in the very near future

The next problem I'm trying solve is getting text messages to work with the Blackberry. With the Nokia it worked great. Any suggestions?

Actually, it's not too hard to create this file from outlook:

-Go to contacts in outlook
-select file, import and export...
-select export to file
-select comma seperated values (windows)
-choose contacts
-create a contacts.txt file
-click on the button map custom fields
-clear the map and only add name and mobile number (or whatever number you added in your contacts. I had to make two txt files and combine them - one for business numbers and one for mobile numbers)
-click finish and you should have your txt file
-copy to tomtom under the contacts folder

I don't want all the contacts from my phone listed on my 720 so I keep a contacts.txt file with my most commonly called numbers handy on my computer and drag it over to my 720 if my contacts get wiped out by the next tomtom update.

Phone book

I had the same problem. With my phone tom tom said you couldn't copy the phone book But when I did it , it copied parts when done again possible other parts were copied. I had to copy the differen contacts to my destop and did a copy paste to the contact file in your tom tom folder. Apparantly this happens to alot of people. Nothing is easy with tomtom.

I just setup my phone book manually because it was just copying the numbers over...is there a way to have it list if the number as a cell, home, work. I have them listed as follows....

"Name","Number","Home"

"Name","Number","Mobile"

but it isn't making note that it is a cell or home or whatever. Is this even possible?

Ask a Question