Ordered a Go 720 - What Traffic Option is Best?

Hi there,

I just ordered a refurbed GO 720.

Before it gets here I wanted to figure out which traffic option is best:

RDS-TMC
- How well does this work ?
- I live in Melbourne, FL and so am in the green area on the Orlando coverage map
- Aside from the antenna is there any cost or subscription fee ?

Bluetooth Connection
- Is there a monthly fee associated with the traffic ?
- I searched but did not see if it will pair okay with my Blackjack II

Thanks !!

Can anybody help ?

I have a few trips coming up and need to make a purchase of either a TMC antenna or go with the subscription.

Thanks.

Your biggest issue with either source will be the timeliness of the data. Outside of the "live" 740, you're going to find that, except for the worst tie-ups, the traffic report may not be dependable. There can be a significant delay between the time the traffic problem is initially reported to when it's verified and then sent out via your traffic connection. But the 740 traffic has it's own issues, with coverage being spotty and areas outsde the big metros (like Orlando) non-existent in many cases. FWIW, traffic reporting is just not yet ready for prime-time in North America (Europe is a bit better but still not what it should be). If I had to choose a service today that I was willing to pay for my answer would probably be none of the above for an area like Melborne. Honestly, now that I've had a chance to really pay attention to what traffic reporting can add to most routes, it just doesn't affect most of them. Overwhelmingly, the fastest route computed by your TomTom will still be the fastest route even considering traffic.

Last edited:
Coverage with the subscription is much wider then with the receiver - check TT receiver. coverage map for the areas you are interested in.

Biggest problem with the Plus service is that their traffic server seems to be down a lot.

I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area and have the RDS-TMC antenna. The traffic information is pretty much only correct by accident. What I do find handy is that construction reports are very accurate. If construction on my route includes area with lane closures this is good to know and I may avoid the area completely. I have found one instance that even though the report said the road was CLOSED, the unit still wanted to route me over that road. I like having the antenna and for the price I paid, I think it is worth it. The traffic reporting is free, at least in my area.

Thanks.

UPS just dropped off my GPS at home, so I will try the bluetooth connection first.

However it looks like you can pickup an RDS-TMC antenna on eBay for ~ $20 so I might give that a try also.

Cheers.

First thing to do is charge the unit in the holder for 2-4 hours.

Then, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden folders/files are showing.

Then, you'll want to get the latest application update (8.351) using Home and, as well, TRY for the LMG (even though it is a refurb). Create an account at TomTom (email address and p/w) then log in using Home.

See whether the LMG is offered. If so, great, go get it. If not, call support at 866-486-6866 and see if a CS agent will add it to the map to your account. Technically, refurbs aren't supposed to be eligible but, on a case by case basis, some are getting the map.

Then make another Explorer backup to a DIFFERENT folder.

Ask a Question