ONE XL-S owners please help...

I just bought the ONE XL -S at BestBuy this afternoon. Hook it up and now text-to-speech. Call TomTom support and tell them that when I try to install a digital/elec. voice capable of speaking street names that there's not enough memory! Right then I notice that my unit screen states ONE XL when hooked up to my computer! On the bottom of the unit near the serial number it states ONE XL with no S! The gal tells me that they must have made a mistake and that I didn't get an S version and that I'll have to go back to the store and exchange it which is 30 minutes away.

Before I do this can you please check the bottom of your units to make sure that it does actually state ONE XL S and not just ONE XL then post your findings? My yellow box says it's an S (TTS), but it's not possible with this unit.

Thanks!

ONE XL-S owners...

No, it will take 30 minutes to drive back to the store. Do you own one? If so, can please look on the bottom of yours and tell me whether it has an S?

Thanks!

I just bought a XL-S. On the bottom, it does state Tomtom ONe XL xxxxxx (4S00.008). Mine speak street name fine.

No Text to Speech with XLS

I too bought an XLS at Best Buy. And I too noticed that the screen says One XL just as it does on the bottom. But, the box says One XLS.
this has me concerned.
My real problem is that I've yet to get the text to work.
I've made sure that volume is up, the voice is Susan, English, and Computer, and Speech preferences are both checked and unchecked.
And NOTHING. no speech.
When I first used the GPS the voices worked when selecting and then hitting Test.
Now... no speech during driving, no speech when hitting Test during voice selection, when I adjust the volume, or when I select to repeat directions!
...first answer would be that the devise is on Mute. But Sound is ON.
What gives???

I just bought the ONE XL -S at BestBuy this afternoon. Hook it up and now text-to-speech. Call TomTom support and tell them that when I try to install a digital/elec. voice capable of speaking street names that there's not enough memory! Right then I notice that my unit screen states ONE XL when hooked up to my computer! On the bottom of the unit near the serial number it states ONE XL with no S! The gal tells me that they must have made a mistake and that I didn't get an S version and that I'll have to go back to the store and exchange it which is 30 minutes away.

Before I do this can you please check the bottom of your units to make sure that it does actually state ONE XL S and not just ONE XL then post your findings? My yellow box says it's an S (TTS), but it's not possible with this unit.

Thanks!

My real problem is that I've yet to get the text to work.
I've made sure that volume is up, the voice is Susan, English, and Computer, and Speech preferences are both checked and unchecked.
And NOTHING. no speech.
When I first used the GPS the voices worked when selecting and then hitting Test.
Now... no speech during driving, no speech when hitting Test during voice selection, when I adjust the volume, or when I select to repeat directions!
...first answer would be that the devise is on Mute. But Sound is ON.
What gives???
Mine did this too. The first time I turned it on, I heard the drum sound. And, I somehow got it to say a few words when playing around with it. But after that, it was completely silent, exactly as you describe. I ended up exchanging it at Best Buy, and the replacement seems to be fine.

--Michael

mine not speaking street name neither.

Check the voices to see if your unit have computer voices. If you select human voices text to speech does not work.

I bought the XL-S from Office Depot on BF. I just started to use it today & found it didn't read out the street name when turns. I selected the computer voice, but on the Speech preference screen, the first three lines are shaded out, I couldn't select: READ ALOUD STREET NAME, READ FOREIGN STREET NAMES OUT LOUD, READ ALOUD ROAD NUMBERS.

I will check the full manual before I call Tom Tom.

1/12/08: after I changed the voice to Computer Voice, in the next screen, I was able to select the "READ ALOUD STREET NAME". I drove around the next day, it would anounce the street name when near the turn.

Here is the instruction per Tomtom.com website. Good luck.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=xl-s&FID=8494

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just got my first TomTom today, the XL?S (from that Dell deal), and I found this thread because I noticed mine shows TOMTOM ONE XL on the bottom also. I guess the 'S' over in the "4S.008" number signifies it's an XL?S.

Glad I read the directions about reading street names... I probably would have switched it to another voice immediately and not tried one of the computer voices, and ended up with the same problems. :)

Thanks!
RLXFXR.......First, ignore TTSupports inputs (they usually are wrong). Initially, I had the same exact problem & confusion regarding whether it was a XLS or XL. If it states XLS on the box & shows 4S00.008 on the bottom, you have the right device. For some strange reason, the XLS is shipped without the computer voice being selected by default (dah??), so you do have to go through the process to set it up. Female computer voice Susan should already be on your XLS. The reason you couldn't install another computer voice is that the file for this is around 45Mb and there isn't that much space left on the 1G memory chip that's internal to the XLS (I think mine had like 12Mb available. So, find the Susan voice and start from there. After you select/test the voice, be sure to enable the items you want the voice to speak. If you want to install more computer voices, larger/more POI files, then think about buying a 2Gb memory card; that's what I ended up installing. Good luck.

Ask a Question