For Ontario owners: TT doesnt use 407 appropriately

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
I live NE of Toronto and have occasion to go SW...say to Hamilton or Niagara Falls. There is no doubt that the optimal way (of course allowing for tolls) is to travel west along Hwy 407 to its very west end where it meets up with the 403 or QEW. This would be especially true if one had an IQ model as I do with a GO730. But I am unable to have it take such a route. Instead it will have me take the 407 only until Hwy 400 :confused: and then down to the yucky 401 and across. Just wondering what is your experience?

Yep...all the time.

Remember, local knowledge beats mapping algorythms on any GPS.

Also, you do have the option to modify the route selection by using the Travel via choice. Except that TT will not remember that selection the next time you travel the same route unless you resort to the Itinerary function.

Last edited:
Yep...all the time.

Remember, local knowledge beats mapping algorythms on any GPS.

Also, you do have the option to modify the route selection by using the Travel via choice. Except that TT will not remember that selection the next time you travel the same route unless you resort to the Itinerary function.

But this routing i.e. keep on the 407 till it ends seems very straight forward for man and machine alike ;) .

And for sure historical data would say that the 401 is almost always busier than the 407...a perfect setup for a unit with IQ.

"Travel Via" wouldnt help too much as the route suggested by the 730 and a Magellan has it using the 407 in part anyways. I guess one would need to give an address much further along the 407 to force it to take the 407 or a longer time/distance.

Last edited:
an update

With the latest 810 maps the IQ routing now makes much better use of Hwy 407. Instead of routing me onto the 401 as done in the past routes now include as much of the 407 as is possible.

Isn't that funny, 21rouge. I travelled the same (407) route yesterday from Bayview to the 401 West exit and was just about to bring along my 720, curious to see whether the 810 map and IQ routing would indeed use the 407 all the way. At the last second, decided to give it a pass.

Thanks for confirming what I hoped would happen. Sorta helps justifying the paying of all that money for the map upgrade.

just about to bring along my 720, curious to see whether the 810 map and IQ routing would indeed use the 407 all the way.

The trip for which the new routing became apparent was a trip from Markham to Guelph. The route went along the 407, only hooking up with the 401 at the last possible moment ie 401 West to London exit. (Previously I would have been routed down the 427 or some similar N S hwy to hookup with the Hwy 401; long in advance of what was optimal)

The trip for which the new routing became apparent was a trip from Markham to Guelph.
You are comparing apples with bananas ! ;->)

Your first post said Markham to Hamilton/Niagara Falls.
407/400/401/427/QEW is the shorter route and, depending on
time of day / day of week, it could even be the faster one.

For IQ routing to kick in, you MUST select 'Fastest' as the choice. Further, I don't care what time of day, weekday or weekend, the 407 is ALWAYS faster than any other 400 series of roads.

You are comparing apples with bananas ! ;->)

Your first post said Markham to Hamilton/Niagara Falls.
407/400/401/427/QEW is the shorter route and, depending on
time of day / day of week, it could even be the faster one.

Just checked with my 730 with 810 maps from home to McMaster University in Hamilton (same start and destination as done in the summer with the older maps). This time IQ routing has one use the 407 as far as possible i.e. no 401.

Just checked with my 730 with 810 maps from home to McMaster University in Hamilton (same start and destination as done in the summer with the older maps). This time IQ routing has one use the 407 as far as possible i.e. no 401.
I think anyone citing speeds with IQ routing should mention time of day / day of week.
I don't know where in Markham you started but I selected Google maps, Markham. There 407/400/401/427/QEW is two km shorter.
I could have been fastidious and picked my former shop at 2650 John St, Markham and even in rush hour beat you to McMaster going Woodbine/404/401/427/QEW. You just have to know where to weave between the collectors and express and not follow Jane and specifically not Susan.

I think anyone citing speeds with IQ routing should mention time of day / day of week.
I don't know where in Markham you started but I selected Google maps, Markham. There 407/400/401/427/QEW is two km shorter.

But that is the point. The previous maps had me going on the 401 now it doesnt. It seems clear to me updated IQ routing in the new maps recognizes that in the real world the 407 is now the 'faster route'. Of course you could choose to ignore it.

I was just responding to your comment that I wasnt comparing apples with apples. So I reentered the same start and finish as with the earlier maps and there is now a difference. As dhn said my shelling out for the new maps is getting me something and this one change makes perfect sense.

I could have been fastidious and picked my former shop at 2650 John St, Markham and even in rush hour beat you to McMaster going Woodbine/404/401/427/QEW.

I am way east of you but your boast is useless hyperbole as it cannot be verified.

Anyways rush hour on the 401 doesnt look anything like rush hour on the 407.

Last edited:

Ask a Question