One XL High pitch noise?

Hey all,

I've just purchased a Tomtom One XL so I'm new to the club. Just wondering if this is normal - Upon putting the unit near my ear, there seems to be a constant high pitch noise (not super loud but is audible when held near your face). Has anyone else experienced this? Is this common or a fault? Apart from that, the sound and unit itself is working flawlessly. I'm just speculating it's something to do with the internal GPS, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
reags

I never heard it before I read your post, but if I do put the unit up to my ear I can just barely hear a high pitched sound.

I never heard it before I read your post, but if I do put the unit up to my ear I can just barely hear a high pitched sound.

hey mate,

thanks for the heads up confirmation - I did google this issue as well and it seems it does exist in the wider community....bit odd...bit annoying too at night when its quiet..just waiting from tomtom to see what theyre take on this is...anyone hear it too?

My 3rd edition ONE make this whine, also. Almost sounds like a high-speed fan, but is probably just the soundchip.

R?

odd indeed, sounds like it spans across several TT models - initially I thought it may have been a fan or internal memory, but if it's a flash based memory that rules it out, and typically even a hdd based memory is nowhere near this pitch level.

I haven't start using mine yet.

But really... if the only time you hear it is if you put it up to your ear than don't do it. Just leave it on the dashboard or window.

Are you going to be driving around with the GPS up to your ear? Come on...

I haven't start using mine yet.

But really... if the only time you hear it is if you put it up to your ear than don't do it. Just leave it on the dashboard or window.

Are you going to be driving around with the GPS up to your ear? Come on...

No, the reason why I even discovered it in the first place wasn't becase I intentionally put it up to my ear. It was during night driving when I heard a high pitched noise and searched around me in the car trying to find out what it was. It's actually quite audible from about an arm's length.

Velly intellesting, being a little hard of hearing have never noticed it, probably couldn't anyhow, defitnetly can't hear it on the motorcycle........:D

Heh all I need now is a Harley to go with the XL :p

Eitherway thanks for the feedback, just needed to check it wasn't an internal fault with grounding, etc.

I start using my TomTom XLS for the first time today.

And yes, I do notice it. But since I always play my music, it doesn't bother me.

I also have to put it right next to my head to hear it. But than again, people says my hearing is not as good as it used to be.

tomtom High Pitch Whining Noise SOLVED!!

If you hear a High Pitch Whining Noise in your car and its not your passenger then its the inverter in your your tomtom, iPhone, laptop, car radio LCD screens, just like a dimmer at home, the lower your screen brightness the harder your internal inverter is working - just put the screen brightness all the way up... WOW Silence at last!

Hey all,

I've just purchased a Tomtom One XL so I'm new to the club. Just wondering if this is normal - Upon putting the unit near my ear, there seems to be a constant high pitch noise (not super loud but is audible when held near your face). Has anyone else experienced this? Is this common or a fault? Apart from that, the sound and unit itself is working flawlessly. I'm just speculating it's something to do with the internal GPS, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
reags

Is this problem fixed allready?
Seems to be a quite frequent problem with new and long used tomtoms...

Ask a Question