One XL 340 falling off windshield

TomTom Model(s)
One XL 340
I've had my One XL 340 for about a year now. (Got it for xmas 09.) Anyway, the suction cup doesn't seem to stay stuck to anything. I used to mount it to the faux-wood on my center console, which I loved, because it was out of the way. Then it started falling down all the time. Next I tried my windshield and it did a little better, but still fell down. Every time it falls, there's a risk of it breaking and of course, it usually resets the course and isn't very helpful anymore.

Are there any alternatives to suction mounting? Has anyone found another decent method? It's very frustrating and I'm about ready to just throw it away, because I can't use it.

... and while you're cleaning it, be VERY careful of both what you use to clean it and how you treat the very outside periphery of the circle.

The "rubber" (actually, it's a synthetic polymer) is sensitive to microtears that can be easily caused by abrasion. Those microtears will eventually allow air to enter and you'll lose the vacuum.

Go VERY gently with soft cotton like an old t-shirt. NO paper towels. Trees feel soft when you shred 'em up good, but they're still trees.

Also be sure that your dash or windshield (whichever way you decided to do it this time) is exceptionally clean. Even the slightest bit of road dust on the plastic or glass can muck up the seal.

I have kept mine on the same faux wood dash wraparound and had great luck with it, and it's been knocked off once or twice by unruly passengers.

:D

...and still hang in there if you plugged in the charging cord!

;)
Ouch - be careful of that. Have one user here who ripped the 1/8" audio jack with solder pads right off the board of his 730 doing that. Guess it was the first cord to run out of length on the way down. The repair is going to be a right bugger, but I expect I'll be able to get the traces repaired for him.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the sun visor mount, as I think that would be the simplest. I rarely use my device, so it wouldn't be up there most of the time. I also think the cigarette socket one might work, although I am concerned about the weigh and movement of the device damaging the socket.

I just got fed up with the Stock tomtom mount... yes it is very low profile but it never wanted to stay up...
got a Bracketron low profile gps mount and it sticks like glue.
vQnv_n9JwhXwxsnKLXx4deaKvLRrxrAz97lK5tN-X_7fj5zKkCTpoOKfI2OTE1BMwFAtRp8e2ZI1p9u9pqmzysVz3i51IENYwZ_9rK-rmlFe_U0liJTNqbEhx99DzZq6p2gQ2EpdKH_gxNCRCaJhq2ghLaZNlcVipE33WaZSGFraXXHQPOS8Y3y0lTiakCSQcUwv

Ask a Question