ONE XL 3 Year Itch (Mac User)

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
My wife has been using a ONE XL for 3 years. Never had an issue. Of course, never updated it or had it connected to HOME either. So, I inherited it and of course wanting the latest and greatest, installed a new version of HOME, connected the 1XL and began my updating. Bought the map service and a few voices and I'm thinking great. This is easy. A few minutes later, reality sets in. So, in the last 10 hours - yes 10 hours - I've spoken to TT support (who's now closed through Monday) and had the unit working on v7.xx. Went to update again and it, well, wont. I pretty much understand the entire file system TT uses for this unit and what the files are. At least I think I do after playing with it and completely wasting my afternoon and evening.

So the problem is, latest version of application for ONE XL is v8.010 which I downloaded. Of course having upgraded a few times today since v6.594. The unit is giving me the dreaded red cross at boot.

I'm on a Mac, have the latest version of HOME (2.7), have complete backups using Finder (Not HOME which I found you really can't rely on) and have done the following:
1. Turned off spotlight and backups on my Mac
2. Reinstalled the app - all versions but to no avail
3. Formatted the unit (FAT32)
4. Reinstalled again - same issue
5. Ran HOME, checked for updates - found 6.594 (which it SAYS is the latest??) and installed - red cross again
6. Manually installed 8.010 and copied a map over thinking it needs that?

Does a ONE XL need to have all the subsequent application versions installed before you can get to the latest? I thought it could boot successfully w/o a map?

So now completely frustrated, tired and ready to go buy a Garmin I found this forum. So, anyone out there willing to lend a hand? Any ideas?

I'm also using Snow Leopard, Time Machine, Spotlight all disabled during these procedures.

**Also have run the Clear Flash Utility at least 3X

Last edited:
Have you tried resetting the unit (holding the power button for about 10 seconds on your unit)?

I know you've done this before but maybe worth another shot.

Since you DO have a Finder backup.........

Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, connect to Home and again get an application.

Ok downloaded and installed via Home v6.594. Clicked "Done" and it restarted the device. Again, red cross. BTW I never got this version to work on this unit.

Since you seem to have the latest application in a cab file, try (again) a manual install using WinRar, overwriting files as necessary, followed by a reset of the unit.

Yes - same outcome. Red cross. Then I hooked it back up to Home and it says there's an update - again v6. Seems like something is missing. Like a boot file or something. Here's whats on the unit now after I manually copied over v8:
gprssettings.dat
mctx.dat
art (folder)
gns (folder)
helpme (folder)
USA_and_Canada (folder)
bootloaderversion.txt
mctx.txt
data.chk
gprscom.conf
install.bif
system
tthome.bif
ttsystem
antitheftw.bmp
tomtom.ico

When you are receiving an application update and installing it, be sure to disconnect the unit properly from Home, shut it off and restart it for the bootloader info to 'take', so to speak.

Then connect again and see if a further app update is available.

Sorry for the confusion......... No, whether you do it while it is connected or manually should not matter. I tend to do it manually after disconnecting properly. I also shut down Home completely.

I restart the unit and then start Home.

Probably doesn't make a difference, but..............

Yep - same thing. Even on the PC. I cleared all the files on the unit, hooked it up to Home, and it wanted to download v6 again - downloaded it, installed successfully and I "ejected" the 1XL and bam - red cross.

I'm at a complete loss here. Going to try the Clear Flash Utility again and start one more time fresh - formatting the drive and seeing what happens. If that fails - it's waiting for TT on Tuesday - unless you or another member has another idea?

CS is open Saturdays.

866-486-6866

........oops.........

Maybe not THIS Saturday, based on web site

If your internal flash drive is bad, you can install an SD card and restore your backup to the SD instead.

Thanks mvl - after a few tests I confirmed it was in fact the internal flash. I installed a standard speed 2GB SD Card and everything works excellently. I find it very weird that the internal flash would just decide to 'die'. No warning or any indication that it was bad (ran chkdsk, repaired permissions, etc). Seems as though there are quite a few posts relating to this. Maybe the heat in the vehicle? Construction? Who knows? Anyway I'm up and running and thank you again.

It's a TomTom/Mac 10.6 Issue

TomTom claims the problem is on Apple's end. There is nothing on Apple's site about it, though.

Yes - same outcome. Red cross. Then I hooked it back up to Home and it says there's an update - again v6. Seems like something is missing. Like a boot file or something. Here's whats on the unit now after I manually copied over v8:
gprssettings.dat
mctx.dat
art (folder)
gns (folder)
helpme (folder)
USA_and_Canada (folder)
bootloaderversion.txt
mctx.txt
data.chk
gprscom.conf
install.bif
system