Nokia E71 firmware upgrade and TT 720 data

I still haven't gotten around to replacing my Go720 yet, mostly because I had 3 other peripherals go bad in the last month. I've been busy getting warranty replacements and fixing what I can. Not to be off topic, but last week I installed the new firmware upgrade for my Nokia E71, 300.21.012. On of the items listed as updated in this version is Bluetooth stack reliability. Since the only device that ever gave me trouble using Bluetooth was the GO, I thought it might be time to again try the data connection. I'm trying to download anything that Service has free, since my gas and traffic subscriptions have now expired. So far so good. I've been connected for ten minutes without a hiccup. I have not set the TT connection on the phone to authorized yet, but that might be my next experiment.

Hi. I also updated my E71 and now I can't get any data connection between my 920 and my phone to work. How did you do it? some special setting in phone or tomtom device?

Hi. I also updated my E71 and now I can't get any data connection between my 920 and my phone to work. How did you do it? some special setting in phone or tomtom device?

I don't know about the E71, but in other phones I've used, I had to unpair and repair after a firmware update.

What errors are you getting?

I had to recreate all of my Bluetooth pairings after the firmware update anyway.

Anyway, the bluetooth connection doesn't dump after a few minutes anymore. I've been able to make data connections where I couldn't before.

The only thing unusual was that I had to use a different model in the selection process. As you know, there is no entry for the E71. When I tried setting it up as 'other', it didn't work. I chose an old model, I think it may have been 3650 or 3250 from the list on the Go. I have hard reset a couple of times, but nothing bad happened. And the connection stayed connected through testing for over an hour at a time. I haven't had any long trips where I could test longer than that.

I'm continuing this thread in case any of you care. My continuing saga with my Go720 goes like this. Today I received an RDS-TMC antenna from an Ebay seller. It is labelled as OEM TT. I had asked the seller about whether I needed to pay for a subscription. He said no. i didn't exactly believe that, but the price was right. I received the antenna tonight, and from the convenience of my home office, I connected it and waited a couple of minutes. To my surprise, it did connect and give me a more complete traffic report than I had ever seen from the Traffic subscription I used to have. The only gotcha I had to overcome was to turn off Bluetooth data, and repair my phone for handsfree. That's it. I'm done!

So we'll see how long I can keep this setup working.

I do not live in an urban area. I am in the woods in the Hudson Valley area of NY state.

See this link. The traffic antenna shows you "traveler mode" traffic, and adds that to IQroutes delays which actually overstates the traffic situation. PLUS traffic (prior to the current outage that began 8/27/09), showed you "commuter mode" traffic, which was more accurate although the coverage looked worse.

Do I understand you correctly that Plus Traffic has been in outage for over a month? That's incredible!

After not being able to effectively use my Plus Traffic for the last 6 months of the subscription, due to the Go's inability to work properly with my phone, I'll take 'traveler mode' traffic reporting. IMO, that's better than not having any.

OMG! I had no idea. So for the month of Sept, when I was testing to see if my data connection was working, I was lucky to ever get a connection at all. Oh well, I'll stick with the antenna for now, at least it appears to be working. And it works without having to string it up around the windshield like Christmas lights, which is a good thing for the times I'll need to move it to the second vehicle. I have the wire wrapped around the mount, loosely.

THe firmware upgrade on the Nokia did help the bluetooth a lot. I can set it for automatic connection again, and it doesn't crap out.

Ask a Question