TT compatibility with Nokia E71

Hi guys,

I checked back with tomtom.com tonight, as to the compatibility of the Nokia E71. When I looked 2 weeks ago, they said yes, it was compatible for the go730 and go930 for TT services and hands-free, but they had deleted the go720 from the compatibility list entirely. Tonight when I looked they have changed the compatibility list.

The E71 is now compatible ONLY for hands-free and NOT for TT services for the following models: go940,go740,go540,g0930,go730,gp630,go530,eclipse

So it would appear that TT has given up trying to get services working on the x30 models, after reassuring us for several months that it did work. After reading some of your posts, in an attempt to get my 720 working with this wonderful phone, I thought you might be interested to know.

So for me, I guess I'll be limping along with the 720 with no traffic services, since my contract expired last month, and I cannot get the E71 to do anything over bluetooth other than handsfree. My last traffic contract cost 29.95, and this year they are charging 59.95. That would have made me think twice even if I could get it to work.

The phone is so capable that I have a hard time believing they spent much time attempting to fix the problem. It's always convenient to blame the problem on the other device.

A while back I had asked them if I could get a trade in allowance to buy a 740. They were only willing to give me an allowance if I bought a 730. To me that didn't seem like anything, since recent software updates had already made the 720 and the 730 equivalent. I'm very disillusioned with this company, and would have to think long and hard before I give them any more of my money.

Suitable phone

Get hold of a Nokia 6230i phone on ebay or similar web site.

Although an older phone, I have yet to find anything that even goes near it for TomTom compatability.

For in car use, I can't recommend it enough, and mine has been a trusty friend for many years now. Nothing touches it as far as I'm concerned. it works in every single condition, and I can't speak highly enough about it.

Never disconnects, the speech is always clear, and so easy to pair via Bluetooth with the Tomtom devices.

So good, my wife was so impressed, she bought one too for her Tomtom, and is delighted with it, after having endless problems with trying to pair a more modern phone with it. ( T Mobile G1 for those interested).

I

If you mainly want data, get an old Verizon V3m and sign up for Page Plus' basic plan. $1.20/MB for data. that lasts me about 2 weeks. It's prepaid with a min of $10 added each time, but the money lasts 120 days from the date of the last "recharge". It works great with the GO730 and utilizaed EVDO instead of 1X data.

Thanks for the suggestions, but that's just too cumbersome to deal with. I bought my Go so I could use handsfree AND data on my existing ATT plan. I'm not about to add even more expense, and yet more gadgets to regain the functionality I used to have until TT decided to get smart (stupid) and rewrite their scripts.

Since I didn't have traffic to worry about [just wanted handsfree] I'm OK since the softward "downgrade" -- HF works fine. But if I had other things I wanted to uuse I'da been [I'd be?] frustrated too.

Ask a Question