No GPS signal on go 300!

TomTom Model(s)
go 300
Hi guys and girls
Just bought 2nd hand tomtom go 300 that won't pick up signal. I have d/loaded tomtom home and done all updates, but still won't pickup signal.
Is therenythingelse I can do? If internal antenna is broken could I tried external antenna? could/would it work?
Thanks I advance for any help

Was a new quickgpsfix file included in the updates?

No mate there wasn't. From wot I have read so far, the quick fix is not for this model!
I could be wrong, but I couldn't find my model listed amongst those listed!

I thought the file was good on any model but certainly stand to be corrected.

If you use Explorer to delete anything in the ephem folder on the unit and then go here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\ and delete any sub-folders found there, connect to Home and see if indeed you are offered such a file.

If you are NOT seeing the ephem folder on your device, then maybe you are correct about it not working for your device.

If you use Explorer to delete anything in the ephem folder on the unit and then go here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\ and delete any sub-folders found there, connect to Home and see if indeed you are offered such a file.

If you are NOT seeing the ephem folder on your device, then maybe you are correct about it not working for your device.

Will give this a try wen I get home and report bk ;-)
Cheers mate.

nope no ephem folder for me!

One of our mods (Andy_P) is UK based and might be acquainted with that model and be able to provide some guidance.

So check back, probably within 24 hours..........

One of our mods (Andy_P) is UK based and might be acquainted with that model and be able to provide some guidance.

So check back, probably within 24 hours..........
cheers fella will do ;-)

Sorry, been away for a couple of days...

OK, I just looked back at a few of my backups for my Go300 (starting from summer 2007!) and can confirm they don't have an "ephem" folder.
Conversely, the very first backup of my Go720 doesn't, but subsequent ones do.

So I think you're right, no QuickFix data for the x00 models.

How long have you been leaving it though?

I would try giving it a reset (pin in hole at bottom, then leave it in full view of the sky for AT LEAST 45 minutes to an hour.

If still no joy, we could try a complete re-format and reinstall, but you MUST have made a complete backup (using WindowsExplorer, not Home) before you go any further.

hi Andy
ok i have reset (pin hole at he bottom) and left for a good hr, but nothing picking up!
have done a complete bk up thru win explorer as u requested. were do i go from here mate?

First try just replacing the system software by following these instructions
Old style Tomtom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home

If no joy with that, the last thing I can think of to try is a reformat and reinstall. No guarantees it will work, but it's worth a try....

To do that, you connect the TomTom to your PC, go to the TomTom drive in Win. Explorer, right click on it and select "Format".
Choose "FAT32" and DON'T tick "quick format".

After that you'll have a completely "raw" chunk of hardware, so you'll need to connect to Home and it should offer you the latest operating system software again.

After that, you should be able to install a voice or two, but to recover your maps, you'll need to copy them back on, from the backup you've made.

Any questions, just ask and someone should be able to help.

First try just replacing the system software by following these instructions
Old style Tomtom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home

If no joy with that, the last thing I can think of to try is a reformat and reinstall. No guarantees it will work, but it's worth a try....

To do that, you connect the TomTom to your PC, go to the TomTom drive in Win. Explorer, right click on it and select "Format".
Choose "FAT32" and DON'T tick "quick format".

After that you'll have a completely "raw" chunk of hardware, so you'll need to connect to Home and it should offer you the latest operating system software again.

After that, you should be able to install a voice or two, but to recover your maps, you'll need to copy them back on, from the backup you've made.

Any questions, just ask and someone should be able to help.
ok, tried both of the above with out any joy!
so borrowed a friends tomtom and swapped the antenna board and hey presto it worked :)
so anyone no were i can pick up a antenna board? searching ebay for a cheap faulty unit:cool:

thanks for the help guys:thumb:

I reckon eBay wil be your best bet.

Well done for diagnosing the problem though. Did the antenna swap involve soldering or was it just swapping a few plugs over?

Andy, although I haven't done this type of TomTom "surgery," there is an on-line tutorial which gives the answer to your question; if you scroll about 1/2 way down the page of pictures in the "Removing the metal cage" section, the "antenna circuit board sits atop the unit, and is held in place by two very tight plastic clips."

TomTom Go 300 battery replacement and location of the antenna circuit board info

Thanks Alfie. What a GREAT set of photos in that tutorial, not one I'd seen before.

Those old Go's were certainly built like battleships compared to the stuff we get now.

Well done for diagnosing the problem though. Did the antenna swap involve soldering or was it just swapping a few plugs over?
as per alfie67's link to pics, yep ther are just 2 clips holding the antenna board in place. once released theres a ribbon/cable connected and a radio button connection. both easily removed. took about 10 mins to remove and swap the boards over :thumb:

Ask a Question