Newbie - How to add a destination/side trip

I'll be driving cross country next week and there is one section where I want to get off I-80 and take a more scenic route for a while. There isn't an address or anything that specific. Can I set up my Tomtom to tell me how to go where I want to go? I have a 720 btw. Thanks.

I'll be driving cross country next week and there is one section where I want to get off I-80 and take a more scenic route for a while. There isn't an address or anything that specific. Can I set up my Tomtom to tell me how to go where I want to go? I have a 720 btw. Thanks.

Yes you can, I just completed a 3000 mile trip last week from Florida to Nova Scotia Canada via Ontario. The way I did my route was to go to Google Maps and choose directions from my starting point to finish point.

Then with Google Maps interface you just drag the part of the route you want to change. ( just make sure you zoom in to see it after you complete your draging route to see that it is exactly where you want to go)

You also must zoom in start and finish points and drag them a few feet
( you can put them back if you like )

Then copy and save it with this program as an ITN. file and after file is created save it to your TT in the ITN folder.

Then after it is in your TT go to plan Itenary, options , load itenary and you are off.

Just follow the instructions from this site and you should do fine.

http://www.houghi.org/tomtom/

Good Luck & Happy Motoring

Do it with Tyre

You can also download this http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php free program named Tyre. It works with Google Maps and lets you build an itinerary and then download it to your TomTom.

You can also download this http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php free program named Tyre. It works with Google Maps and lets you build an itinerary and then download it to your TomTom.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking Tyre it is just I can't seem to get Tyre to work properaly for me. Tyre always takes me to google earth and not google maps. As I said it could just be me! or the way I set up it up.

Tyre looks like a great program and if I could get it to work I would be just as happy with it I am sure.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking Tyre it is just I can't seem to get Tyre to work properaly for me. Tyre always takes me to google earth and not google maps. As I said it could just be me! or the way I set up it up.

Tyre looks like a great program and if I could get it to work I would be just as happy with it I am sure.:rolleyes:

I have the choice of Google Maps or Google Earth. I have attached a screen shot of Tyre on my laptop. It is the latest version. I always use it with Google Maps and can understand why you would not be satisfied. I hope this helps you to get Tyre to work with Maps. And I hope I was successful attaching the screen shot. ;-)

Attachments

• Tyre.jpg
    Tyre.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 322
Sweet!

I couldn't get Tyre to install, though it looked promising. I followed the instructions on the houghi.org site and it seems to have worked. Thanks for the help folks!

Ask a Question