New XL350 and XXL550

Google POI under LIVE services allows you to search by cuisine. Typing "Italian" gives the same results that Google Maps would show. It's available on the 740 live and 340 live models

So given the choice...

Thanks DHN,

Have seen you participating in the Garmin forum on gpspassion so I assume you're "Garmin-aware" as well.. So given the choice between the Magellan 5045, Garmin 1490t, and XXL 340TM would you consider the TomTom to be the best investment especially if your #1 reqmt is reliable traffic and re-routing? Am I overlooking any aspects that would sway me one way or the other?

Jack

Nope, not in Garmin section there. So, I'd rather someone with Garmin experience give you advice on those models.

Thanks DHN,

Have seen you participating in the Garmin forum on gpspassion so I assume you're "Garmin-aware" as well.. So given the choice between the Magellan 5045, Garmin 1490t, and XXL 340TM would you consider the TomTom to be the best investment especially if your #1 reqmt is reliable traffic and re-routing? Am I overlooking any aspects that would sway me one way or the other?

Jack

I could not tell you about Magellan. But I have used Garmin 765 (map+traffic) and TomTom XL340TM.

I was fairly happy with the Garmin, until I started using the traffic feature. The first time I used it on I405 towards orange county around 5+pm (about 4 weeks ago), it crashed on me while I was trying to do some rerouting. I again tried the traffic feature the day after memorial day while traveling on 210 E near Monrovia around the same time. Garmin crashed on me 3 consecutive times. I immediately packed up the unit and returned it to Costco.

Since then I have used the TomTom, and have not have any crashes (keep fingers crossed).

I don't know my particular Garmin was defective or what. But to me that unit is dangerous to use for traffic purpose.

Hello all,

I am brand new to this great informational base and individuals. I just purchased the Tom Tom XXL535T today from Walmart. My problem is, I could not find any mention of it on the Tom Tom website. Does anyone have information regarding this unit? If it's old technology I can take it back before the 30 days are up and get a refund. On the other hand, if it's not a discontinued item that's great. It appears to me that this item was produced for Walmart because I can't find it listed anywhere else. Thanks all for any help.

Music Man

TomTom XXL 535T

Thank you for this quick response. However, the XXL 535T information must have been recently added to the Tom Tom website. I looked hard prior to the purchase of this item and did not find it listed. I had planned to purchase the XXL 530S initially but the stores that listed this particular unit had run out of stock. So, when I saw that Walmart also carried the XXL 535T at a higher price I decided to get it but wondered why I did not see it listed on Tom Tom's website. At any rate I do hope this unit works out. As stated, this is my very first GPS and I am excited. I can hardly find my way around the corner so this will be a great help to me. I am an audiophile who loves jazz and classical music. I also want to attend some of the Hi Fi shows around but did not dare venture out for fear of getting lost. Now I am not housebound any longer. Thanks again for comments.

Music Man:):)

Make sure you make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. It's your 'safety net' if anything goes wrong.

Ask a Question