XL350TM-touchscreen not accurate

TomTom Model(s)
XL350TM
I've had this prb for a while, basically when using the keypad, even though my finger is pressing a key directly, it will think that I'm pressing the key beside it. It was much more accurate when I first bought my unit, so not sure why it started to mess up afterwards and not sure if there's a fix. Thx in adv for any suggestions.

PS Don't think that it has anything to do w/ the various map versions/updates as this prb has been consistent regardless.

Skimmed through the sources, I understand that I need to create a .txt file and have to adjust some #s therein? It seems too complicated for me and I may screw it up if I change the figures too much. I supposed that there is no other way to re-calibrate?

No, the manual creation of the file is all that is possible. However, even if you screw it up to the point where you can't press "Yes" to connect to the computer, it's possible to force a connection (so you can try some new numbers). Go ahead and take another look at those threads, and create the calibration file and see how it goes.

Your 340 uses a 'resistive' screen. In short, your finger position in x,y is detected by measuring the resistance from the edge to the point where you make contact. The resistance of many touchscreens can change over time, altering the way the device perceives your position vs. actual. That is why some such devices have calibration routines built into their firmware. Unfortunately, TomTom devices do not.

Your 340 uses a 'resistive' screen. In short, your finger position in x,y is detected by measuring the resistance from the edge to the point where you make contact. The resistance of many touchscreens can change over time, altering the way the device perceives your position vs. actual. That is why some such devices have calibration routines built into their firmware. Unfortunately, TomTom devices do not.

Thx for the info. Would it be easy for them to implement? I guess that there's not enough complaints from users for them to address this prb?

Evidently not. Some units go a lifetime without any shift, and a few get wonky. I don't think you will ever see code changes to these Nav2 generation units now in any case.
The good news is that with Nav2 (unlike what may happen to Nav3 units as they age), we can build files to compensate for the drift.

I'm having prbs locating the calibration data line/fine for my unit: could someone please help?

I'm guessing taht my unit is *Post 8.051* Navcore versions so the formatting should be:
MaxX MinX MaxY MinY
924 86 877 99

?

Why guess? Your Nav2 unit will tell you its version number.
However, for post 8.051, yes, Max Min Max Min.

Is that the part on the 'planned route' summary? I'm version 9.510 in that little square icon: is that the reference?

Could you please inform where I can find the calibration data?

You bet, 9.510 is the latest and greatest.

There is factory calibration set up in an inaccessible area of flash memory at the factory. If you press and hold the power button long enough, you will eventually see a black and white screen that shows the factory information. It is only a point of reference for you since it's obviously not working well with the factory settings.

The file that you create will override that data during the boot cycle when you power on.

I tried holding onto the power button but I only get the 'plan route' and 'browse map' page. I notice that sometimes if I update my gps w/ Home it will show an 'acknowledgement' page w/ an 'I agree' icon, but that's not the page you are referring-to?

Argh. I had forgotten that your unit is old enough to have the reset button in the bottom. With a paperclip or similar, press (gently) and hold that button beyond the reboot process until you see the diagnostic screen, then release. You'll see your white text on black screen.

I assume that the reset doesn't affect any data or settings? Do I press it while I'm switching it on or while it's off? Thanks.

No, the reset won't bother a thing. Just produces the same 'cold start' you would get if you could get to the battery to disconnect and reconnect it. It's not really a 'reset', it's a 'reboot'.

Ask a Question