New versions of your map

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730T
I recently received the message that there are new versions of the map, so I bought the new map for my GO 730, plus the quarterly updates. After installing the new map, I have several issues:

1) The new map wiped out my 4 digit security code
2) It erased all my favorites
3) It erased all my map corrections
4) Now every time I start up HOME, I get a message, "New versions of your map are available. Get them for as little as US$ 11.95 per quarter with our new Map Update Service." This message doesn't go away, even though I have USA map 825.2157
At the bottom of HOME is a banner that states, "Four new maps a year as little as $9.95 a quarter." Why the difference in price?
5) It does not seem to be uploading or downloading any map corrections

Is this mess going to happen every quarter?!

GO 730 v8.302, HOME 2.5.2.58 (the most recent for the Mac)

I recently received the message that there are new versions of the map, so I bought the new map for my GO 730, plus the quarterly updates. After installing the new map, I have several issues:

Is this difficult to reset?
All you have to do is copy MapSettings.cfg from your back-up to the North_America folder, activate "Operate My Go" and do any modification to any one of the favorites.
Not sure about this, but didn't you have new map corrections after you downloaded the new maps? I did.
4) Now every time I start up HOME, I get a message, "New versions of your map are available. Get them for as little as US$ 11.95 per quarter with our new Map Update Service." This message doesn't go away, even though I have USA map 825.2157

Yes this sux.
At the bottom of HOME is a banner that states, "Four new maps a year as little as $9.95 a quarter." Why the difference in price?
The pricing is different for different units (with different capabilities.

Mine does...:confused:

Thanks for the response Statman.

This forum has too quick a time out. I composed a long reply, and when I tried to post it, I was asked for my login again, and I lost everything I had written.

Is this difficult to reset?

I have several issues with this:
A) There was no warning that it would be reset. My unit was unprotected until I saw that the security code was wiped and reset it (I was attending a conference during that time).
B) What kind of security is it if a map update erases it? Can a thief simply add a map and wipe the security code?
C) Until very recently, HOME did not work properly on a Mac, so the security code was not able to be set using a Mac. I had to borrow a friend's PC to set it initially. Only in the last week has HOME been updated to work on a Mac. If HOME was still not working, I would have been unable to reset the security code without borrowing my friend's machine again.

All you have to do is copy MapSettings.cfg from your back-up to the North_America folder, activate "Operate My Go" and do any modification to any one of the favorites.

Again, there was no warning that this would happen. I am a new user (3 months), so this was my first map update. I updated the map while traveling (at a conference), so all my settings for the trip were wiped out. And since I made a backup after installing the new map, the MapSettings.cfg in the backup was also new. Fortunately, I use Mac's TimeMachine backup, so once I got back home, I could restore that file from my laptop backup. Thanks for the info.

Not sure about this, but didn't you have new map corrections after you downloaded the new maps? I did.

After downloading the new map, I checked map corrections. Some survived after all, like the naming of a misnamed street. But turn directions (the map shows a street where there is none) that I had corrected needed to be entered again. And missing streets were still missing (after reading the discussions here, I have learned that map corrections don't make it to the new maps very quickly.)

Yes this sux.

I hope this eventually gets corrected. I like to be able to see how many map corrections I am using. The message telling me that I can buy a new map after I already did is confusing.

The pricing is different for different units (with different capabilities.

TomTom's strategy is confusing, thanks for the info.

Mine does...

It's hard to tell.

Thanks, Statman.

Terrell
GO 730T 8.302 Map USA v825.2157

If you pop into this forum on a regular basis, believe me, you'll know ......:D

TT tries to keep to about a 3 months release schedule so the next version s/b available sometime after the middle of May.

Last night, May 18, a new version of the 2 GB USA and Canada map came out, version 830.2284. And pretty much the same thing happened as the last time I updated to a new map:

4) Every time I start up HOME, I still get the message, "New versions of your map are available.

1 - You need to realize that the security code needs to be re-set. Until you do, your TomTom is unprotected.
2 - Hopefully you have not yet backed up your unit writing over your old backup, because to restore your favorites, you need the "MapSettings.cfg" file from your backup. Copy this from your backup which you'll find here:
~/Backup01/InternalMemory/North_America_2GB/MapSettings.cfg
and put it here on your device:
~/INTERNAL/North_America_2GB/MapSettings.cfg

Ask a Question