New TT repl Old TT. How to tell HOME?

RVA

TomTom Model(s)
720, 1535TM
I have a new GO 720 that is replacing my old 520. I have sync'd my old TT with Home 2 vers 2.7.

• I am concerned that if I just plug in my new TT, Home will overwrite the newer maps or not report that it is a new unit and get the initial map downloads.
  • Further, I need to make sure that I can transfer my SD card that contains all my custom POI's and Itineraries.
  • t seems also that the new 720 has features that the 520 does not have thus I need to make sure that HOME 2 realizes that.

There might not be a cause for concern but I would like to know that in advance and how to make sure that I get all the advantages of the new unit but retain the old POI data. I shall give the old unit to a friend. It will not again sync on this PC.

Anyone have that experience and can comment?

RVA-Maryland, USA

1. Set up the 720 at TomTom.com using a new account (a different email address/password) than your first unit. It doesn't even have to be a real email address.

2. Just use Explorer to copy your custom .ov2 files (and associated .bmp files, if there as well) from the backed up map on the existing card to the map folder on the 720. As well, copy the itineraries from the itn folder on the sd card to the itn folder on the new unit, again using Explorer.

Uninstall?

Should I/ Could I uninstall Home 2 and be leaving the data files on the PC. Then install Home and move the POI's from the old card to the PC?

Will the new TT accept the old SD card and sync to Home?

I can move the files OK but I am always uncertain where HOME wants those files to be.

RVA

Should I/ Could I uninstall Home 2 and be leaving the data files on the PC. Then install Home and move the POI's from the old card to the PC?

Will the new TT accept the old SD card and sync to Home?

I can move the files OK but I am always uncertain where HOME wants those files to be.

RVA

No need to uninstall Home. In the settings in Home, edit your email address to match that you used when setting up the account for the 720 at TomTom. Then, when you connect your 720 to Home, it'll 'know' you're logging into the 720 account at TomTom.

720's (and I guess 520's) should be using sdhc cards, the faster speed the better. Is it a sdhc card that was in the 520?

The ov2 custom files certainly can be copied from the map folder on the 520 to the map folder on the 720. I'm not 100% sure how well the itineraries will function after copying them into the itn folder on the 720 since they were created using a different map (one for the 520). Probably will be ok.

Logging in

Here are the initial steps:
  1. I connected the new 720 to the cradle and PC
  2. It recognized my old TT as a 710 and the new as a 720.
  3. It auto logged in and asked if I wanted a new account or to connect to my old email and account thereby rendering my old TT obsolete on this PC.
  4. I opted to connect to the existing account and render my old TT useless.
  5. The download screen options are..
Maps of USA and Canada
TT app for GO720
Phone Connection Settings
Susan
Map Updates for NA​

The 720 told me to disconnect the device and insert mem card. I did. Then it did not recognize the device. I shall save the data from my mem card and reformat the card, then reinsert into and connect the 720.

Well, something is wrong since Map of US & canada should NOT be offered for a 720 unit, only the NA map should be.

(not necessary to use such a large font size. Even with my crappy eyes, I can read the normal font, so I imagine others can too ... :eek: )

Some HOME screens think maps are assigned to email addresses, not devices.

If RVA had a prior map downloaded for the 710, and then reassigned the email to the 720, some screens will say the old 710 maps can be installed on the 720. But when you actually attempt to install it will say the map isn't compatible since the serial numbers don't match.

All is Well

After too much time with support, all is fixed. Too much time but EXCELLENT support. Turns out just what you suggested was the problem. North American maps were not acknowledged nor downloaded. After moving and renaming the old maps, the new maps sync'd fine.

Ask a Question