New TomTom XL 340S non functional

My wife purchased a TomTom XL 340S for me for Christmas - I opened box and followed instructions carefully- Attached it to computer and it wanted to download update- I clicked yes and it started downloading map update after it updated "home" It seemed to download the map but stalled on trying to install it to device- after >24 hours I aborted it - now my device contains no maps! Support says that it clearly states on their website that a DSL modem is not the best way to download maps ! What! Most of the planet uses DSL modems? I said "you mean dial up?" No - she said that my DSL modem is not fast enough even though it is a WIRED and not a wireless connection at (1.32 mbps)and it corrupted the file before it finished downloading- I am out of luck - they will take the device back after a 15% restocking fee!! What a horrible customer service experience-Tom Tom obviously doesnt care about retaining customers-- I am going back to Garmin- At leaset I dont need a T1 modem to get it to work ! :(

Ad

Advertisements

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
A DSL modem is plenty fast enough for their *slow servers*... especially right after Christmas when everyone and their brother is trying to download the latest from TomTom. That CS girl didn't know what she was talking about. :rolleyes:

solved

You are both correct- I spoke to support again last night- The problem was not with my modem - it is the device-- I realized the map update was downloaded- but locks up the device when trying to install - the tech had me remove the corrupted map from the device -run a "scan disk" on the device drive to repair corrupted files - then had me transfer the map again from my computer. After reading other reviews on this device I see that others had the same problem over and over again . Everyone reccomends downloading "TomTom Home" and ignoring the rquests to update map when pluggging in device for the first time- then backing up device - removing voices that arent needed and the map loaded on device- then downloading latest map update- everyone said it works fine after this-- Tom Tom must know about this problem -It is so Frustrating that the first tech and her manager MIchelle put me through H#%@ yesterday when they could have easily admitted there is a glitch and steered me to a solution - Why doesnt TomTom pull this model and release it with fix? They are loosing customers ...

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
Hi rallen,

Glad you finally got good help from CS your unit is working again. Sometimes it's a [email protected] shoot in getting good help from CS. That's indeed unfortunate. I read good and bad stories about TomTom CS.

I have two TomTom's presently. This last time I was going to try a Garmin, but the model I was looking at (1490 I think it was) had some good and some very bad reviews (one user returned his 9 times for rebooting problems). TomTom routing is better for the most part AND once you get it working properly, it has a lot of nice features and customizations. The one feature that sold me on getting another TT was its *lifetime* map updates.

Now that your TT is working properly, it's important to make a backup of your device on to your computer. See this thread for info:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/announcements.html

Hope you don't have anymore trouble, but if you do, there are a number of knowledgeable folks here ready and willing to help – something I did not see on the Garmin forum when I checked.

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question