New TomTom XL 340S non functional

My wife purchased a TomTom XL 340S for me for Christmas - I opened box and followed instructions carefully- Attached it to computer and it wanted to download update- I clicked yes and it started downloading map update after it updated "home" It seemed to download the map but stalled on trying to install it to device- after >24 hours I aborted it - now my device contains no maps! Support says that it clearly states on their website that a DSL modem is not the best way to download maps ! What! Most of the planet uses DSL modems? I said "you mean dial up?" No - she said that my DSL modem is not fast enough even though it is a WIRED and not a wireless connection at (1.32 mbps)and it corrupted the file before it finished downloading- I am out of luck - they will take the device back after a 15% restocking fee!! What a horrible customer service experience-Tom Tom obviously doesnt care about retaining customers-- I am going back to Garmin- At leaset I dont need a T1 modem to get it to work ! :(

A DSL modem is plenty fast enough for their *slow servers*... especially right after Christmas when everyone and their brother is trying to download the latest from TomTom. That CS girl didn't know what she was talking about. :rolleyes:

solved

You are both correct- I spoke to support again last night- The problem was not with my modem - it is the device-- I realized the map update was downloaded- but locks up the device when trying to install - the tech had me remove the corrupted map from the device -run a "scan disk" on the device drive to repair corrupted files - then had me transfer the map again from my computer. After reading other reviews on this device I see that others had the same problem over and over again . Everyone reccomends downloading "TomTom Home" and ignoring the rquests to update map when pluggging in device for the first time- then backing up device - removing voices that arent needed and the map loaded on device- then downloading latest map update- everyone said it works fine after this-- Tom Tom must know about this problem -It is so Frustrating that the first tech and her manager MIchelle put me through H#%@ yesterday when they could have easily admitted there is a glitch and steered me to a solution - Why doesnt TomTom pull this model and release it with fix? They are loosing customers ...

Hi rallen,

Glad you finally got good help from CS your unit is working again. Sometimes it's a cr@p shoot in getting good help from CS. That's indeed unfortunate. I read good and bad stories about TomTom CS.

I have two TomTom's presently. This last time I was going to try a Garmin, but the model I was looking at (1490 I think it was) had some good and some very bad reviews (one user returned his 9 times for rebooting problems). TomTom routing is better for the most part AND once you get it working properly, it has a lot of nice features and customizations. The one feature that sold me on getting another TT was its *lifetime* map updates.

Now that your TT is working properly, it's important to make a backup of your device on to your computer. See this thread for info:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/announcements.html

Hope you don't have anymore trouble, but if you do, there are a number of knowledgeable folks here ready and willing to help – something I did not see on the Garmin forum when I checked.

Last edited:

Ask a Question