Help/Advice TomTom xl 340s

TomTom Model(s)
Xl 340s
Hello,

I stumbled upon this forum in my seemingly endless quest to solve this ...issue.
I bought my TomTom in November and it worked fine, i loved it we were happy :)

Then about 2 weeks ago I was about to come home from someplace new and the trusty TomTom "turned on" in the way where it made that fun start up noise then began directing me to home, (since it was the last thing I had it doing before I turned it off and it's idea of my house is always about 2 feet farther than my garage actually is.) However the screen was black. Now it was "bright" i guess you could say but still black. I've tried soft resetting. I've tried plugging it into a wall usb, the car charger, the computer and nothing. It will boot up and play the start up sounds but, the screen stays black yes it lights up to a lighter black.
I kept it in it's case and kept it with me at all times. It wasn't exposed to any insane heat or cold, never dropped, no water damage but the screen just stopped working I assume.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix? or will I be seeing if I can get a replacement or move on?

Thanks for your time.

When you do turn it on, can you connect to a computer? If so, can you see the contents of the unit using Explorer (Or Finder if a Mac)??

If so, make an Explorer backup, not Home, of the unit's contents. Format the unit. don't use quickformat.

Restore the backup. Does that help?

Thanks for the speedy reply,

When I connect it to my computer (mac) the green light turns on but, the computer doesn't recognize the device at all :(

Follow Up

I got ahold of the people at customer service (they upgraded their website and systems so I couldn't email them because it wasn't registering that i had in face registered..). I ended up getting a Rep who had just got off the phone with someone dealing with the exact same problem. They're going to replace mine since I got it in November which is pretty awesome since I loved the device and didn't want to get another one already.

However one of the things her boss had me try and he said it's a trick that usually works (sadly didn't for me) is to try to do the soft reboot 5 times in row. So if anyone else out there is having problems and you've tried everything else also give that a go and see if it works. Hope this helps someone else out there.

Ask a Question