New tom tom owner

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720, GO 920
Hi All,

New owner of GO 720 (wife) and GO 920 (me) having migrated from Garmin.

Have read and followed all the instructions, but have been unable to find solutions to the following;

1. I have about 230 Favourites I printed out from past GPS's. I am able to enter co-ordinates in the add POI function on the 920 itself (laborious) however when attempting to do it using "HOME" on the computor (with unit connected) the co-ordinates button is greyed out. Any way round this or am I missing something?

2. The sound disappears on both units (obviously at the most inconvenient times) and the only recourse is to switch off and on. The battery is either near fully charged or on power when this happens. Is this a general fault or do I have 2 duff units?

3. I have played around with the positioning, "brightness" and different map views on the 920 unit, however in bright light, not necessarily sun-light, the screen is invisible. At a loss with this other than hiding it under a cap which somewhat defeats the objective.

4. Safety Cameras - where does one obtain these for South Africa. I see some are available within a "package" in UK however there are only about a third of the numbers that are available locally for the Garmin.

5. I am trying to check on the Tom Tom website if I have the latest maps. I am unable to find a list of maps, only the "buy-now" button - which does not work. Obviously I am looking for Southern Africa.

Otherwise very impressed with the units, although will probably have some more problems as get more familiar with the units.

Would appreciate any available help. Forgive me for mentioning Garmin if this is not allowed - not being derogative.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Do you have access to a spreadsheet application on the PC such as Excel - if so use that to create a csv file containing all your locations, the file format should be familiar to you as the Garmin used csv format. Then simply use POIEdit to open the csv file, final step is to save/ As and choose ov2 format and you get files that will work on your device. You can get POIEdit by clicking Here

There does seem to be quite a few people reporting issues with sound loss on a couple of forums recently, mostly this is when the battery starts to drop in charge level, use the car charger all the time to avoid this.

Brightness can be an issue at times, there are products such as the "GlareStomper" range of hoods that can be fitted to the device to aid visibility.

Where did you get the Garmin Speed Camera files from? if they are in csv format simply convert them to ov2 as outlined above. If they won't convert then you will need to source Speed Camera files from another database, I guess the UK package you mention is PGPSW? if so you stand a good chance of a free life time membership if you are subscribed and send in locations that are not in the database.

I just checked the SA map currently available and it is version 7,30 to check what is on your device tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box, the resultant screen will show you information about the software and map version. To check the map available from TT simply change your location from SA to UK then view the map shop and it will inform you of the latest version we can get - Mike

Welcome to the forum. sounds like Mike has given you the information you needed. Let us know the outcome.

Mike - Unfortunately, not sure if I did the right thing, but transferred the waypoints which either through corruption of the files or my stupidity became all muddled up - i.e. a restaurant near home ended up at a construction site I visit frequently in Zambia.

Will try the Safety data shortly.

What you said makes logical sense and maybe I am missing something - will persevere.

Ask a Question