New to TOMTOM :o)

TomTom Model(s)
Wife has a TT1. Me a TTR2
Hi My name is TTR2 I'm new to the world of GPS. I always relied on maps to get anywhere but I find I'm traveling more with the wife across the great country that I love so much. (USA) I'm a retired Carpenter. So if I ask a few (ok alot) of dumb questions please bear with me. In case you were wondering I'm not exactly a genius with a computer either.:eek: I just recieved my new Tom Tom rider 2nd edition yesterday. So far I have managed to take it out of the box hook up the Blue tooth to my phone and mount it to the bike and the helmet. I have done all of this and have not broken anything yet. (pray for me) :D So far so good, things don't usually work out that way for me. LOL
I'm hoping to learn alot from you guys and girls, so please humor me a little on some of these things I might ask. I'm hooking the GPS to a 2004 Harley Davidson Road King. :cool: Thanks TTR2

You did not ask a question, but I will pass alone one recommendation from other TT rider owners - invest in a tether immediately. You can order it from the TT webpage (tomtom.com).

I have a car model (910), but have managed to mount it on a Dyna with a RAM mount. The electric connections would have to be rigged - but now I only use the battery and turn it off most of the time. It was very useful at European Bike Week however, got me through somewhat confusing streets at 2:00 in the morning.

I suggest you read the general forums and the limited "rider" section in particular. And definitely - get the tether right away if you doen't want to find out if your untit will survive a 40-50 mph (or more) fall on the road (some have apparently).

Good luck and safe cruising.

GAW The TTR 2nd eddition has a teather with it . The mount on the new TTR is different that the old one. So far ir seems to be a very stable connection.

GAW The TTR 2nd eddition has a teather with it . The mount on the new TTR is different that the old one. So far ir seems to be a very stable connection.

I've got a new Rider v2 on the way (If TT ever ships it). My Rider v1 mount was crap after about 400 miles on the bike. They replaced the mount the first time I called them, the second time they gave me an RMA and I returned the entire unit. They're sending me a v2, which has some really neat options (car cradle w/ speaker and the Scala Rider headset) over the v1.

I've got a RAM mount on my bike (BMW R1100RS), as my handlebars aren't very accomodating for the mounts supplied with the device.

Thom
The TTR2 comes with a RAM mount. I was a little disapointed that the Scala Rider Blue tooth head set does not act as a communication head set with the passanger headset of the same kind. It seems I would have to order a team head set for that and that's about $280(US). I don't need her talking to me for that much. She'll have to call me on the phone.LOL Or as usual a slap in the head will just have to do.
So far I'm still reading the books that came with it. Hopefully today I'll get on the net and do a back up. I also need to find the best way to hard wire it to the bike. The RoadKing as a acc. switch so I'm thinking of taking it from there this way when the GPS is not on the bike I can just turn that circut off.
Any thoughts on how the best way to hook it up would be much appreciated howhever
The way the teather is they have you connect it to the mount itself I'm thinking more in the line of to the handlebar. This way if the mounting ball ever came loose I would not loose the whole thing. Like I said I'm new to all of this and am willing to learn anything I can from you guys. TIA....TTR2

For wiring mine into the fust box, I installed an add-a-fuse like this.
You can then put the add-a-fuse into circuit that is switched with the ignition (maybe the stereo -- Does a RK have a Stereo, I was thinking Ultra Classic) It will be "hot" all the time when the bike is on, but it will not drain if the bike is off.

I'm not sure if HD went to the mini-blade style fuses, but these are available for them too. What it does is draws power from the fuse you add it to, but keeps that component on it's own circuit so you don't overload it.

I ended up using mine to power an cig lighter type adapter, so I can power other components if needed as well.

Thom thanks for the info. That style fuse I'm going to keep that in mind for future things. I did manage to hook it up to the acc switch. I like the idea of it having it's own circut so that it can be turned on and off and is also fused. The RK does not have a radio on it. Not trying to be a smart a-- here but I'm not into radios while I'm riding. The Gps is the first piece of electrical equipment I've put on the bike. To be honest it's going to take me some time to get used to it being there. It's more for long road trips than anything else, but I have been known to make left/right turns and ride them for miles only to find that I got lost. LOL I can't help but explore country roads in PA. that I've never been on before. The take me home feature will be used alot. :) I have to learn how to plan road trips with way points in there. I have a trip planned for Myrtle Beach for bike week and the bride and I are going from SE Pa. down the coast with stops in Ocean City MD.,VA. Beach,Naggs Head and probably a few other places then finallly Myrtle Beach. Then on the way back planning a different course altogether. I managed to make a back up today so tomorrow I'll be able to use it on a Polar bear ride in Jersey.
Thom thanks for your help,and Pedro thanks for the warm welcome. I'll take some pics when I get the chance and see if I can figure out how to put them on the forum. Like I said before a computer wizard I am not:eek: ...TTR2

Last edited:
If you're going into VA Beach, you have to head over to the Maryland Penninsula and down that way. You can hit Annapolis, then superslab it to the Chesepeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There is nothing like being on the bike with no land in sight.

2. Sorry about the radio comment, my uncle has an Ultra Classic he let me borrow for a trip. Cruise and a stereo allowed me to do Cleveland-Ashville, NC in an afternoon (about 9 hours)

Make sure you get down into Tennessee and ride the Cherohola Skyway and Deals Gap for the tail of the dragon on one of those trips. I was down there a few weeks ago on a long weekend trip to Barber Vintage Days in Birmingham, AL

:) Thom I did Skyline Drive and the BRP last year from Front Royal all the way to and including Deals gap and the Cherohala skyway with a couple of buddies. We stayed in Robinsville. We made a stop also in Roaring gap to see and old friend on the way down and rode to the top of Grandfather Mountain. (that's a must do)Had a great time comming back to by way of rt 81. Managed to see and stay at the Natural Bridge,Antetum and one of my favorite places on earth Gettysburg. I find I'm traveling more all the time and decided that it's time to spring loose with some bucks and do it right and get a GPS. THe Tom Tom seemed the best for me. I beat my head around pretty good trying to figure out which unit I wanted the TTr2 or the Zumo 550. Decided on the TTR2 because I think there easier to use form what I understand and beings the wife has a TTone in the car. If she ever needed to borrow my rider it would not be strange to her. I rode today and the TTR worked great.:) ........TTR2

Ask a Question