New to TomTom, not GPS

Hello,

I'm Brian and just got a One 3rd edition. I'm still debating whether or not to keep it. I like the ease of use but am not happy about the lack of route storage or expansion. This is my first car-oriented gps. Well, I had a Magellan pack for my Handspring Visor that had street mapping about 5 or 6 years ago... But I took it back b/c I wanted something to give me UTM coordinates. I was originally trained on an old Trimble backpack unit (forget which model) and went out and got a Magellan 315 for personal use back in 1999. I got trained up on Arcview 3.x for work use (I'm an archaeologist) and eventually we got another new backpack unit from Trimble running Windows CE and Trimble's Pathfinder and Terrasync software. When I went to work for my most recent employer, I got a Trimble GeoXT which I had to share. I then got an iPaq to run a bluetooth GPS receiver (again, forget the name) and Arcpad. For GIS mapping, I have ArcGIS 9.

So anyway, I'd been putting off one of these b/c I really don't need it b/c I'm pretty good with maps, lol, but just wanted it for the fun factor and the fact that they'd come down in price. I'd assumed that it would have had better capability in the routing department but...oh well. I just hate losing the edits I make to its route planning.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The ONE Third Edition is an entry level GPS unit so it does have some limitations but it is cheap and is mostly the reason why people buy it.

If you are looking for more functions, you might want to look at the 920 although might break the budget.

Thanks. :D I keep reading about menu hacks. Is there some way to add functionality to the 3rd edition? Yes, I knew it was entry level and it is VERY user friendly! Just thought route storage was a fundamental and basic feature. :eek:

You really didn't do your homework
All the TomTom can do Routes, except that one !:D

Thanks.....:rolleyes:

Yeah, well I knew the functionality was limited in the One, but I had no idea TomTom decided routes were an unnecessary item on this one. I just took it for granted...

Ask a Question