New Owner - Question about GPS Oversensitvity

I upgraded my old Mio GPS with a TomTom 1535.

When I'm driving down a road and the screen is in motion, I can notice the car icon (an arrow) "jiggling" left and right quite a lot. On the Mio, it was perfectly smooth. In fact, the Mio had a "stick to road" setting. Even when sitting perfectly still at a light, I can see the icon on the screen jiggle left and right pretty frequently. And I'm not even moving.

Is the TomTom software really this bad that they couldn't smooth out the jiggle? Is this normal on a TomTom or is there some problem with the one I bought?

No it doesn't normally "jiggle".

But strangely enough, I noticed it happening one day last week.

It MIGHT be something to do with bad satellite reception. Do you have an athermic (heat resistant) windscreen coating?

Does it still jiggle if you walk briskly down the road holding it?

I'm in the US and drive a Chevrolet. The windshield is just standard safety glass.

I took the 1535 and tried walking down the street. It's hard to say for sure, but I think the jiggle is still there. I just drove a 9 minute drive. It took half the time, at least 4 or 5 minutes to even get a GPS lock. Then on a totally straight section of roadway, the arrow icon still jiggled back and forth.

I'm not so sure this 1535 was ready for market. I'm finding lots of problems, including poor voice recognition, bluetooth synch failures, and a failed map update that bricked the first one I bought (and returned to the store per TomTom customer service instructions). My parents have an XXL that doesn't have this jiggly screen.

I upgraded my old Mio GPS with a TomTom 1535.

When I'm driving down a road and the screen is in motion, I can notice the car icon (an arrow) "jiggling" left and right quite a lot. On the Mio, it was perfectly smooth. In fact, the Mio had a "stick to road" setting.
On your 1535, it isn't even a setting - it should be happening by default. I agree with dhn on waiting for a lock. The only time my 1535 behaves oddly regarding my location or orientation is if I'm still waiting for a solid lock when I take off.

Yes, initial signal lock is achieved far quicker if the unit is not moving at the time.

The software will lock the arrow to the nearest road. If it is jiggling I would think that reception is bad. Try checking the satellite reception. Are you in a city with tall buildings. I have had a lot of jumping in a city with tall buildings around me

Ask a Question