New owner & lots of questions?

Thanks for the help. I have a lot of questions about 920 usage.

1. In bright sunlight what settings do you use to see screen?

2. How do you show all street names on map. (It only shows the street you are on and crossroads. I want to see parallel roads)

3. How do you move screen with finger as in Garmen.

4. How do you have a mileage scale show up when you zoom out or in.

5. When I pick a route (shortest) it shows up as a longer route than a garmen or magellan.

Again thanks for the help

1. In bright sunlight what settings do you use to see screen?
2. How do you show all street names on map. (It only shows the street you are on and crossroads. I want to see parallel roads)
5. When I pick a route (shortest) it shows up as a longer route than a garmen or magellan.
1)I have mine set on 100%
2)The option you have selected is the only option there is.
3)Not possible
4)Not availble
5)All GPS units are different

As previously stated, you can move the map with your finger only when in "browse map" mode. I'll add that (my) Garmin works exactly the same way.

A map scale also shows up only in "browse map" mode. While Garmin may provide a map scale in driving view (I don't remember if they do), I should point out that a map scale in 3D view is meaningless.

Different manufacturers (and I guess theoretically different models from the same manufacturer) use proprietary methods for calculating routes, so naturally the results MAY vary. Even software changes for a given model can result in route variations. I'll admit that while which route is fastest is often debatable, shortest is generally not. Are the routes you're comparing actually different, or are the devices reporting different lengths for identical routes?

"Different manufacturers (and I guess theoretically different models from the same manufacturer) use proprietary methods for calculating routes, so naturally the results MAY vary. Even software changes for a given model can result in route variations. I'll admit that while which route is fastest is often debatable, shortest is generally not. Are the routes you're comparing actually different, or are the devices reporting different lengths for identical routes?"

I meant to say that I picked fastest on both GPS with different arrival times. Routes were the same

how do you get to browse mode?

And what do you do if say you are on x road and are looking for y road that is parallel. With other GPS i have used I would look at map and say there it is.

Thanks again for all the responses

(by the way I forgot to mention that I bought the 920 last week after using various GPS in rentals. Thought it was easier to have my own versus renting. Maybe I ruined myself for the tomtom or maybe the learning curve is longer. Any suggestions or tips are appriciated)

Last edited:
BROWSE:

Tap Map/screen. Use Arrow to advance till you see "Browse Map" and tap that icon.

As for ROUTES and ROUTING - on longer trips the choices become more limited in driving say from State to State but if you are local, in a larger city, the choices become infinite and each device has its pros/cons.

As far as different arrival times goes, each manufacturer/model/software/mapsource will make different assumptions regarding the speed at which you will travel.

One thing I've noticed when using my 920 in demo mode is that is actually slows down when approaching (some) toll plazas. In real life the other day I was approaching an EZ-Pass toll booth at 25 MPH, and my 920 alerted me that I was speeding, and displayed the max speed of 15 MPH on screen (I have it configured to do that). In demo mode I've seen it slow down to 6 MPH in areas where I know there are toll plazas.

I don't know if it actually takes such brief speed changes into account when calculating an ETA, but I thought it was rather cool.

Wow I must have missed the speed limit option. Do you mind telling me how you set that up

Also i have a blackberry 8310 and want to set up bluetooth and weather.

Thanks

Wow I must have missed the speed limit option. Do you mind telling me how you set that up

Also i have a blackberry 8310 and want to set up bluetooth and weather.

Thanks

Under Status Bar Preferences, on the second screen is Show max speed next to speed. Check that and you should be all set. You may find yourself disappointed with how many roads have this information in the maps, bit that's how you do it.

Ask a Question