New Maps, Firmware have killed my TT One!

TomTom Model(s)
TT One, New Edition w/a MacBook
OK, it's not dead, but it's useless, now.

EVERY time I update this puppy, it takes hours, never works right, has to be wiped, tweaked, sent back to TT, reinstalled, just a total pain in the hoo-ha. I just should have left well enough alone and never tried to install any new maps or updates.

I'm on an intel Mac w/version 1.3 of Home. It took 5 tries to get the firmware update after the home app kept quiting, then the One kept cycling, then home kept saying no such device existed, etc...

Then I tried to install the new maps from DVD, going through the whole home quiting/not recognizing/etc... FINALLY got the whole very long process started, and just as the install progress bar says "100%," my one reboots itself and home freezes.

Now my one can't get a GPS fix AT ALL, and I believe there are no maps installed, making getting a fix/impossible to moot. I need to drive a long ways in 2 hours with this thing and I can't get it to fix or reinstall. I'm totally screwed, off to the store to buy a road map of the paper variety.

Trolling these boards is always helpful. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions here have helped. Trying to reach TT is impossible.

Why, oh WHY does TT (and everyone else who thinks the Mac is an afterthought) make a product that's so easy to use and so impossible to upgrade? If only the same thought and engineering went into the maintenence of the machine as it did into the original execution of the product, they'd have happy & repeat customers for the life of their company. Instead, I'm just pissed-off and frustrated that I paid all this money and spent all this time, only to be left GPS-less.

Don't even get me started on the limited use of the home app on a mac...

I love my TT One when it works...:(

-Dasha-

Hi Dasha,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations. I have a ONE and a Mac and installed my new maps with my Mac. I tried unsuccessfully three times before finally getting it to work. One thing I had to do was wipe my card clean and then choose to install the app from the upgrade DVD along with the new maps and voices. Obviously this is AFTER doing a complete backup of my original SD card.

My unsuccessful attempts resulted from leaving the app on the unit and trying to upgrade the maps only. For some reason, this would send my ONE into endless reset loops. When I finally installed the app from the DVD along with the maps, it worked.

Good luck to you and again, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

Well, I'll try again after I get back from my Google-and-paper-map guided trip tonight. Problem is: now my One's not showing up in Home, so how do I accomplish any of this? Ack.

Thanks for the empathy and advice.

-Dasha-

It must be the mac os then.. Widnows XP did everything no problem on my one v2.. firmware update, map update, poi's, etc etc..

The map upgrade did take 30 minutes but no so bad I installed the north america ones that are 1.4gb on a 2gb sd card. I also have a backup sd card that I use and keep my original tomtom sd card left in the little plastic case
so if there is a issue just pop the original back in and off i go.

So if you need help where are you located.. no need to send your tomtom back with a little help

Hi Dasha,

HOME didn't recognize my ONE either, with the empty 2g card installed. So when I connected it via usb, with HOME launched, I had to go to device->change device and it recognized it so that I could install the app from the DVD.

Let us know your progress!

Dasha - I had no trouble with the update or the new maps on a Intel MAC PBPro with TT Home 1.3. I've just switched from the PC world and was a little worried since the MAC Home is not as rich as the PC one(isn't that ironic?):rolleyes:

I think the sequence was: upgrade firmware - shut down TT1 - restart and reconnect to Home - upgrade the GPS - delete old US/Can maps - install new NA map - get mapsettings.cfg from backup I had made and install into same directory as NA map - I think that was it. Shut down the TT1 and then restart it.

Remember before you shut off the TT1 you need to disconnect from Home and then there is a long wait untill you can AGREE on the TT1 screen - then it is ok to shut off.(Otherwise you need to get a paperclip or somesuch and reset the unit.)

REMEMBER to MAKE A BACKUP FIRST - both because you may need it if something goes wrong but also because you might want some of the things you have there.

Many seem to be having problems - I hope it is not like the new Mac Intel PBPros. Different build weeks seem to have different problems, with the problems being consistent within the week.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go - and let us know.

Last edited:
digitalgoddess, I feel your pain.

TT Home doesn't play well on my Intel Mac. I had 1.3, and tried to get (and later discovered it had been pulled) the 1.5 update, which is Universal. Since 1.3 didn't show that 1.5 was available like others said it would, I tossed it and reinstalled 1.1 from the TT ONE. It also didn't perform the update check, saying that it was the latest! Anyway, tossed everything, and re-downloaded and reinstalled 1.3.

1.3's been crashing, etc. I had partially completed the map install when it up and puked on me, leaving less space available on the TT ONE, but no new map. Wiped out the ONE, restored from backup, and tried again.

Try this to get Home to work again. Quit Home. Then go into /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/ and delete "com.tomtom.tomtomhome.plist" and "HOME preferences". Download and install the latest from tomtom.com. Then try to run Home. Worked for me.

Also take note: if you have the ONE mounted on the desktop, and there is a window open displaying the contents of it, DO NOT CLOSE IT. Otherwise the TT ONE will unmount, causing bad things to happen. Seems to be a bug in either the ONE or Home. Either way, TT Home is unstable on the Intel machines. Hopefully they'll release an updated 1.5 soon, which will be a Universal binary, and it should work better.

Last edited:
You would think 1.5 would work better, but I have it and am still suffering intermittent crashes for no reason. :(

The crashes have occured on the regular install. I had high hopes for the universal HOME app, but apparently it's still buggy. And also no MyONE feature that allows control through the computer. Back to using parallels running windows...

digitalgoddess, I feel your pain.
Quit Home. Then go into /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/ and delete "com.tomtom.tomtomhome.plist" and "HOME preferences". Download and install the latest from tomtom.com. Then try to run Home. Worked for me.

This worked. It enabled me to get Home up and running and able to see my One. Maps installed., but the firmware update seems to have been lost and I don't know how to get it back. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm just working off the SD card that came with it. I haven't ventured into the otherworld of new, bigger SD cards. Not sure I want the headache; then again, not sure I want to suffer the consequences if my only card dies. I backup every month, so hopefully I'm covered.

Whew!

Thanks for all the good sugggestions. I hope that there are fewer hoops and hurdles to jump through and over next time. (fingers crossed) :eek:

Ask a Question