TT 720 with firmware 8.010 and 720.1803 maps VR working

:D I started out with 8.010 firmware and 7.05 maps.

1. Checked ASR folder in root directory = no files (files were present in the /ASR folder prior to downloading 8.010 firmware this week but I had a 7.05 map so ASR did not work (no speech files)
2. Downloaded 720.1803 maps, installed on internal memory size 1.2 GB no cspeeech_xx.dat files existed after install
3. Checked 720.1803 downloaded Map files under MyDocuments/TomTomHome/Download/Map/North_America1 for cspeech_xx.dat files and they were present after 720.1803 download
4. Downloaded map from TomTom Home to 4 GB SD external memory card
5. Copied ASR folder contents from older 7.48 firmware to /ASR folder on internal memory with the support_asr.dat file
5. Still had grayed out ASR icons
6. deleted North_America1 Maps from internal drive 1.2 GB size
7. VR working

I learned during the process that if you do not have enough space on the internal memory the Map will not load cspeech_xx.dat files. All /ASR files must exists as stated in other posts (i.e. sticky). If North_America Map files exist on the internal drive the unit will default to that location even if the last install was done to a external SD card.

Any questions, feel free to post.

Thanks for your detailed post. In actual fact, the unit will default to whatever location the operating system files reside. So, if you had put the system files on the sd card, the unit would boot up and, by default, use the map located there.

I tried to do the same thing but can't location the cspeech_xx.dat files anywhere. I even did a backup before getting the 7.20 maps. Is it possible to get those files from somewhere else?

I found mine here under the North_America_2GB.zip file. Used winzip to see the contents of the zip file. Here is the path on my computer, yours could be different:

C:\Documents and Settings\us0dth\My Documents\TomTom HOME\Download\map\North_America-1

Look for a North_America_2GB.zip file, this is where my 720.1803 maps is downloaded to from the TomTom Home program

mdavidthomas

I found mine here under the North_America_2GB.zip file. Used winzip to see the contents of the zip file. Here is the path on my computer, yours could be different:

C:\Documents and Settings\us0dth\My Documents\TomTom HOME\Download\map\North_America-1

Look for a North_America_2GB.zip file, this is where my 720.1803 maps is downloaded to from the TomTom Home program

mdavidthomas

I did an entire search on my computer for cspeech*.dat and found nothing. I have the folder North_America_2GB and the new 7.20 USA maps.

Ask a Question