New map won't install

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 730
I downloaded the latest North America map from TomTom site for my Go730. It downloads however when trying to install I get a "file is invalid" message.

Did you by chance download via a wireless connection rather than a directly connected router/modem?

Large files dl via wireless sometimes tend to get corrupted in the transfer, and this may be the case here. Can you rename the compressed file (using Explorer) to whateverthe file name.cab.bak (rather than just deleting it) and then try the dl again using a connected router.

If in fact the initial dl WAS via a direct connection, then report back.

I have a direct connection to my Comcast cable modem.

I saw the path of the folder (as the message provided) and tried moving that folder it to my C drive. I'm now in the process of downloading the map again to where it should be. Perhaps it was just a bad image download and will find out what happens after this other attempt. I'm using that service as so many others on here use, the 4 maps downloaded per year.

May not find out how it goes until later as I have a meeting in a few minutes. Will be curious to see.

I work with computers, so just to clarify about moving the folder. The downloaded maps goes into a certain folder under the TomTom folder which is located in "my documents"

The error I was given showed me the path of where the bad downloaded image was. I then moved that one folder to a different area on my C drive, then was able to download the file again from TomTom Home.

Still downloading and will report back later.

yes, the downloaded map folder goes into a chronological folder within mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\maps. If the map is present tomtom won't bother redownloading.

If you got a corrupt map, you can remove it using "manage my device" and removing it from "items on my computer", and your subscription will redownload when you go to update my device.

Tons of people are downloading now, so there's a good chance you got a blip due to server overload.

I was able to download again and it installed the second time around.

Must have been a bad download first time. :cool:

Ask a Question