New here

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom 720
Just bought a Tom Tom 720. Can anyone tell me any pros/cons on this unit

Every thing I read about it is good. But you can never tell about what you read. THATS WHY I ASKED !!!

Then read through the forum some more - there there are plenty of issues covered specifically with regard to the 720 - also some fixes - good hunting.

Every thing I read about it is good. But you can never tell about what you read. THATS WHY I ASKED !!!

Before you do ANYTHING.............make a complete backup of your unit using Explorer, not TomTom home. Make sure you have Windows set for showing hidden files and to show extensions for known file types.

Thanks, DHN !!! Thats the type of info I needed. I never had a GPS unit before, so Im new to all this. I will probably ask some more stupid questions in the future!!!! SO you all bear with me till I learn

Before you do ANYTHING.............make a complete backup of your unit using Explorer, not TomTom home. Make sure you have Windows set for showing hidden files and to show extensions for known file types.

DHN...I have never backed anything up using Explorer. Can you walk me through the steps..I have always used TomTom Home...(reasons for going this way, please).

DHN...I have never backed anything up using Explorer. Can you walk me through the steps..I have always used TomTom Home...(reasons for going this way, please).

Whoa, whoa..DHN..I got this thing figured...don't know what I was THINKING!!..long week

Thanks, DHN !!! Thats the type of info I needed. I never had a GPS unit before, so Im new to all this. I will probably ask some more stupid questions in the future!!!! SO you all bear with me till I learn

There are NO stupid questions........ there ARE silly people who don't ask before plunging in and, perhaps, screwing something up.

You've made a great first step by joining this forum. There are many people here with a great deal of knowledge who are more than happy to help.

Maybe someone can tell me how to back it up !!!

Make sure Windows is set to show hidden files and to unhide extensions for known file types (Contol Panel-->Folder Options-->View). After doing that, connect the unit to the computer and turn unit on. Home does NOT need to be running.

Use Windows' Explorer and navigate to the external drive it shows your unit as on your computer (E:? F:?, it varies from computer to computer). Highlight everything in the unit and copy to a folder on your hard drive. This is your fail-safe backup, just in case.

There are NO stupid questions........

What do you think I was explaining in the post preceding yours???:confused:

Hahaha... I guess there are... :D :p

Anywho, like dhn mentioned, you definitely made a wise decision by joining this forum since it really is a great place with plethora of useful information... not to mention, a lot of people that can try to help you solve your problems - so welcome.

To answer your CON/PRO question, that greatly depends on individuals using their units (duh...), but for me:

PRO: fast trip calculation (even if you missed your turn), extremely customizable, MapShare, Customer Service (DEPENDS!!), voice recognition, acquires satellites pretty fast, SD card (most users have 4GB in their 720), etc.
CON: POIs are not categorized, Customer Service (yes both PRO/CON), backups can become pain (that is if you mess around w/ your unit a lot), cost of maps, etc.

There are others, but I can't think of them... hope this helps though.

Ask a Question