New guy with questions. (TT Go 630)

Hi guys,
I bought myself a Tom Tom Go 630 on eBay which arrived today. I got exactly what I paid for and the device seems to be working flawlessly. I do have a couple of questions though.

1 ... Where do I go to update the UK maps and how much does it cost? I can't even input my home address because, according to Tom Tom the house number doesn't exist but we have lived here since the house was built about 10 years ago. If anybody has later maps, would you look for Lindisfarne Ave in Blackburn Lancashire and then see what happens if you try to add a house number higher than 8.

2 ... (Ahem) About these Safety cameras ..... I have been reading on this site about Red Light cameras and such like and also I have read about a site called Pocket GPS World which I shall have a read of later but, in the meantime, I can't work out whether a basic Tom Tom Go 630 will warn me when I get close to a Safety camera or not. Is there something that I need to do to activate such a warning?
It would be easy enough to get in the car and go for a drive but I have no plans to do that until tomorrow afternoon so any advice would be much appreciated, especially if I need to change some settings to make it work.

Thank you for any info.
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just checked your address on the latest UK map and it won't accept anything above number 8.

Map updates are carried out using TomTom Home software running on your PC, the Home application is available for free from TomTom but maps cost money, you will be shown how much for your device which will depend upon the age of the current installed map.

PGPSW for speed cameras is something you won't regret, you can set the device to announce "Warning Gatso ahead, speed limit 50 miles per hour" it also covers locations known to be frequented by mobiles cameras. For accuracy you won't find better, easy to install and configure and it gets updated each week (normally) - Mike

Hi Mike and thanks for the reply.
If the latest maps only go as far as # 8 then there doesn't seem much point in buying later maps than the one I have. But that begs another question. How can I tell which map version is installed on my device?
Also, I seem to have maps of most or all of the EU countries installed, even including the Vatican City. I'll have to try and figure out how to lose everything except the UK maps.

Thanks again,
Steve

Tap the satellite bars on your unit and the next screen shows the application installed (8.351 is the latest, though two years old).

Now, tap the application number and the following screen shows the map and its version. The latest is 870, out last week.

Also, I seem to have maps of most or all of the EU countries installed, even including the Vatican City.

Steve, you will have the Western_Europe map installed, to find the version number see dhn's post above, the Western_Europe map is all one big file you can't unload parts of it.
Whilst the UK&ROI is available as a single map it won't be what's on your device, instead the same mapping data is from the UK&ROI is rolled up in to a data set to cover Europe - Mike

I can't even input my home address because, according to Tom Tom the house number doesn't exist but we have lived here since the house was built about 10 years ago. If anybody has later maps, would you look for Lindisfarne Ave in Blackburn Lancashire and then see what happens if you try to add a house number higher than 8.

(First of all, for your security, I've edited your original post to remove your full address.)

Secondly, there are several ways to enter your "Home" location... you don't have to do it by entering the house number.
One of the easiest is to do it from the map browser screen.
1. Assuming you've already set a Home location, go to the Preferences menu and select "Change Home Location".
2.On the second pageof alternatives, find "From Map". Drag the map around and zoom in until you find your road (or use the "Find" button to search for it).
3. Tap the screen so the blue cursor is on the exact spot where you want to mark your house.Then tap "Done".

That;'s it! Your Home should be EXACTLY where you want it.

Having said all that... some people are paranoid and mark a position some way away from their actual house, just in case the TomTom gets stolen!

I live in Newcastle-on-Tyne and have decided to set my home address (using google map latitude and longitude ) to the center of the Tyne bridge :) Instead of putting my address in the unit I have just written. If found, and my mobile number

Ask a Question