New guy with a question

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
Hello. I'm stationed in Texas but Florida is my home. I purchased a GPS because my mom wanted one for mother's day and the price was good enough to get myself one as well. I chose a TomTom after extensive research and price comparisons but I've never actually seen one of these things in action so it'll be fun to test it out on some road trips.

I've been cruising around the forums for a week or so and finally got my TomTom ONE XL-S in the mail this morning. I went through the whole setup and was preparing to back it up when I noticed it does not pronounce the street names. I turned the unit upside down with the screen facing me and the little sticker says TomTom ONE XL but the box says XL-S. I chose the XL-S because it announces street names. Am I missing something or did they send the wrong unit?

i can't say for sure because i just have a XL but only some of the voices will do the street names. Can someone with a XLS back that up?

Hello. I'm stationed in Texas but Florida is my home. I purchased a GPS because my mom wanted one for mother's day and the price was good enough to get myself one as well. I chose a TomTom after extensive research and price comparisons but I've never actually seen one of these things in action so it'll be fun to test it out on some road trips.

I've been cruising around the forums for a week or so and finally got my TomTom ONE XL-S in the mail this morning. I went through the whole setup and was preparing to back it up when I noticed it does not pronounce the street names. I turned the unit upside down with the screen facing me and the little sticker says TomTom ONE XL but the box says XL-S. I chose the XL-S because it announces street names. Am I missing something or did they send the wrong unit?

Have you selected a computer voice?

Yeah I read all about how only the computer voices will announce street names and the prerecorded voices won't. I left all of the initial settings the way they were. The setting for "announce street names" is grayed out in the preferences and it doesn't seem like anything I do will change it. I bought it from a good place so I have a money back/exchange guarantee. I just need to know if I’ve got the right one or not.

The One XL-S will pronounce street names. You have to enable the computer voices in the menu. Just play around with it, you will find it and learn more about it. Just make sure you back up your XL-S.

The One XL has no TTS.

I backed it up yesterday and then updated it with all the new stuff. When I had it take me to work this morning it started announcing street names. I guess it was just being funny yesterday.

Ask a Question