New guy with a problem trying to install Tom-Tom.

Hi guys and guyesses,
I recently bought a brand new, sealed, Tom-Tom Navigator 5 on eBay for under ?10 just really to try it out with my PDA to see if it worked OK. If it does, I may well upgrade to the latest version.
But I'm snookered straight away.
The quick install guide says to "insert the Tom-Tom SD card in your device" but there is no SD card in the box. There is a section of printing on the box, in all different languages, that says that no Storage card is included.
I'm a little bit lost as to what to do.
Can I use any SD card?
If so, what size should I use? I have sizes up to 4gb
Which of the CDs do I need to copy to the SD card?
If I run the Application CD, will it all install via Activsync the next time I sync my PDA to my PC?
It would be a simple job to try that but unfortunately I am not at home but my PDA is, lol

Thanks for any info which I shall check when I get home.
5tevie

All I can think of to suggest is to look on all the CDs for some sort of text file with instructions?

I'm concerned though, because TT don't usually let their precious maps go out on CD.

But maybe things were simpler in the days of Navigator 5. :)

Pop disk one in to the computer and it should auto start an application which will let you choose which country(s) you want to install, it will then prompt you to insert the relevent disk for the selected region.

You can indeed use any SD card with the TTN5 application, I hope in the box was a plastic credit card with a fifteen letter code embosed in the front (the product code), when you run the application on the PDA for the first time it will offer you a device code, you need to enter the product code and device code in to the TT Code - TomTom Product Activation. web site where iti will generate the activation code which you type in to the PDA.

You can't update the maps as they will only work with the TTN5 application, the TTN6 software came with its own maps, the newer TTN7 software can be updated to the latest maps in Europe but not in North America but this version is rather restricted as to which hardware it will load and run on - Mainly HTC PDA based mobile phones - Mike

It is being a bit of a kerfuffle.
I got home and set up a partnership between my PC and my PDA. I then put the Application/help files CD (guessing that it was CD1) into my PC. It has been "installing" for about 40 minutes now with a file folder icon on the left and a hard drive icon on the right with mini folders flying from left to right.
I'll give it another 10 minutes and then take a hammer to it, see if that helps.
There is indeed a little credit card sized thing with a long digit.
There was no option to open the CD to see what was on it.

I ain't giving up yet, lol

The CD's are clearly numbered one through six with a seventh un-numbered disk being the user manual

OK, let me explain what I have done and then maybe somebody can tell me what i have done wrong.
First of all, I had better explain that it hasn't been as simple as I have made out. The main issue is that I use a Mac PC at home so I had to first of all install VMware with Windows XP. Once I had that up and running I installed Activsync 4.5 and paired my Compaq h5450 Pocket PC. All is going well so far with everything doing as it should.
Then I take the TomTom Application/User manual CD (No number on it that I can find) and stick it in the drive. A list of options appeared and one was to install so i picked that and installed the application on to my Ipaq.
If I look at my Ipaq screen, my normal desktop has the red Tom Tom icon on my Start screen. I clicked on it and had to answer a few questions such as "Was I using it right handed?" and "What language?' etc. Then it said, "No maps found"
That was OK because I knew that I had not yet installed any maps.
So then I re-connected the Ipaq and synced with the Mac again. I removed the tomtom disc and put the first Map disk in. I wanted to check that it was the right Map disc (with maps of UK) so I did a right click - explore before clicking on the INSTALL icon. I was asked which maps I wanted to install and I clicked on the biggest version which was about 220 mb. But then I had a problem. My device doesn't have 220mb of spare memory so I installed the maps (and postcode kit) to an SD card after being prompted on how to do it by the map install software. That all installed properly and i then quit the software.

Now we get to the tricky bit. I took the SD card out of the Mac and put it in the Ipaq but when i run TomTom again, it stilll says, No maps found"
If I put the SD card back in the Mac there are 2 folders on it. One called ZIP @ 8.9 mb and the called "Great Britain Plus Map" @ 208.4 mb.

So that's where I am now and i don't know what else to do.
Any advice gratefully accepted.
If need be, I can e-mail photos of the TomTom Navigator 5 software just to prove it is genuine.
To be honest, I can't for the life of me understand why the quick install info says "Insert TomTom memory card" and then the printing on the box says, "No memory card included"

Problem solved.
I just thought I had better do an update so that if anybody else is having the same problem, it will maybe help them.
I did the right thing by installing the maps on to an SD card but what i didn't realise was that when i did that, the files went into a folder that was already on the SD card. It was a folder from a camera into which all my photos went and it was called DCIM or something like that.
So what I did next was create a folder on my desktop and copy/paste both of the TomTom map files to the new folder. I then deleted all the other stuff from the SD card and then copy/pasted the 2 files back to the SD card.
This time, when i started the TomTom App on my Ipaq, I was asked if I wanted to activate the maps. I did all that and now it works up to this point and it is all installed correctly.
I'll now wait for daylight (and a little sunshine) before going out to my car and trying to pair the Bluetooth GPS receiver with the Ipaq which I have never done before and see if THAT bit works.
At least now, if I have to come back here, I have the maps to show the way, :)

Ask a Question