New GO 920 and Map Updates

I think I posted this in the wrong area initially, sorry rookie error. I got my new GO 920 on Thursday night and attempted to use the map guarentee, which is supposedly good for a year, to upgrade the Western Euorpean Map which it said I needed. When I attempted to download it I did not have enough space. I was 219mb short. I called Tom Tom and they had me go into the Tom Tom file in my computer and click and drag the old map to my desk top. I attempted again to download and made it to install where I was now 149mb short and it just stopped. Called them again and the guy took me through a number of machinations and told me now I would have more than enough space. This is where I think my problems began. I had to download again and everthing went fine until I got to looking at what maps I had available and I only had the Europe map, not North America or Guam. This was yesterday, Saturday. I called back and after some more machinations they put the North America map into my account which I was able to download and install. I thought this was over but today, Sunday, when I went to use my unit I could not communicate with it verbally. It's not there anymore. It seems the traffic cameras are also missing and who knows what else. I think the Spanish and French languages are missing also and I"m not sure I really care about those. Should I? As they were closed today I guess I'll continue this saga tomorrow after work. This first thing I did when I opened the unit was to back it up so at least I have that. The download of the Western European map was supposed to 1927mb but I only downloaded 1881.6mb. I was told when I inquired about this that the 1927mb is only an estimate. I don't really understand all this so I guess I'm asking those with more knowledge than I what I should be asking Tom Tom tomorrow when I call back. Since I have a backup from day one before any of this started am I in good shape? What would happen if I tried to restore it to that time? Would restore effect the European map I downloaded? I've read here about a new North America update either due or recently released. The last thing I was told was I was good until probably April 2009 so were they telling me to go away and not try to get any more updates. Great forum, thanks for any help or ideas.

Ask a Question