Go 920 erratic map directions

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
My Go 920 is around 5 years old and little used. It had the original North America maps and also the latest Western Europe installed this year.

Whilst in Florida 3 months ago the unit started ok but after a short time seemed to lose the signal and display maps of other locations in the same area. It hunted for new directions and reloaded but didn't find the correct ones. By turning off and back on it reset to the correct route. This would happen several times during a journey.

On return to England and the Western Europe maps most of the time it behaved perfectly but occasionally lost the plot and did the same, losing location and only resetting when switched off.

I'm now in France and the ******* thing is doing it again.

Help! I'm lost in France and want to go home.

Hmmm.....

Do you have access to Home where you can connect and update your unit with the latest gpsquickfix file? That may help.

Also, are you running on battery power? If so, use the connection to the cig lighter. A run down battery can cause the gps signal (and computer voice instructions) to fail repeatedly.

The unit is always used plugged in to the cig lighter. It appears to charge fully.

Unfortunately no access to home at prestent

All I can suggest is a pin reset on the bottom of the unit. Should take a bit longer to establish a gps fix but one should get established.

Is this in hire cars?
Could be an athermic windscreen coating causing low satellite reception strength.

That's quite an old model and I can't remember how well they coped with that situation.

But the symptoms certainly sound like they COULD all be caused by a simple location calculation error.

The pin reset seemed to work for one journey, however on the next trip it was acting up again.

The car I used in Florida was a hire car and may have caused a problem. In England and France I'm using my own car which has a p lain glass screen so I don't think it is the cause now.

If it's a Go920 I think you will still have a satellite reception strength bargraph on the main driving screen.
When the routing goes bad, what does the signal strength look like?

Hi, I don't seem to have a signal bar on the map screen. I've looked though the menus and can't find out how to get it on. It only appears on certain screens.

If I use a signal booster, will that help? I have one I used to use for a mobile phone. There is a small magnetic box which attaches to the roof. The cable goes inside the car and connects to the cig lighter. Another cable has a small transmitter which boosts the signal in the car. I don't know what frequences it works on, it seems to be multi frequency.

With the status bar in the horizontal position, tap the bottom roght of the status bar.

The next screen should show on the right side a battery status icon and, right below that, gps signal bars with the number you have in green.

Not on the 'map' screen. Press far lower right corner of regular 'driving' screen. A bar will appear on the right side of the screen showing the battery on top and 5 bars below. Press that. The next screen will show the 'satellite bar' screen. One bar per satellite received. Gray means it can see it, but has no lock. We're interested in how many are blue, and how close those blue bars come to the line that's about 80% to the top of the 'graph'.

Ask a Question