New And Confused In Texas

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
Today I finally got the courage to try to set up my new One XL S that I received as a gift about three weeks ago. Confusion from the git-go:mad: I've "kind of" set it up, but haven't driven with it yet. First of all connecting to "Home" on the computer seems to be a big mess. Maybe I did things bass-ackwards, I don't know.

As to the device itself can anyone tell me why when I follow the instructions on the card for enableing text to speech I can't get the "Read aloud street names" to highlight so I can select that option? The card with the instructions indicates that I should be able to do that. There are six options on that page of Speech Preferences. The last three were already highlighted and checked, but the first three aren't. Could someone please advise me on this?

I sure am glad this forum is online. This is my first GPS experience and I'm confused:confused:

Clairek

You need to select a computer voice for all options to be available, I think.

You need to select a computer voice for all options to be available, I think.
Thank you, dhn. I chose the computer voice option on the device, but not while it was hooked up to my computer. That's another area that's confusing me. When I attach the TomTom to my computer, the computer starts downloading a lot of different things like maps and sharing, etc. I think I just need to hang it up for tonight and start over fresh tomorrow.

Clairek

You do need a computer voice for that option to be available.
1. It's not necessary to have your TT hooked up to Home to change and select a voice. Use Change Preferences, Voice Preferences, Change Voice, Scroll to and select "Susan". If you can't find her, check to see if she is on your TT. Connect TT and use Home then Show Contents, Voices. Look for voice Susan . If she is not there use Home, Add Maps/Traffic/ Voices, Add Computer Voices (not Add Voices). Select and add her (or any of the other comnputer voices available), then disconnect and select her on your TT. Options will now be available.
2. If you don't want to update your TT everytime you use Home, go to Tools at the top of the Home screen, select preferences and uncheck "Check for Updates" in the startup section. You can manually update anytime you like later using the Update button in the main Home menu. Home will then start much more quickly.

Ask a Question