New 910 owner blues

Help! My wife got me a 510 for my b.d. I played with it and then returned it to upgrade to a 910 after reading these forums.

1) My computer doesn't recognize either the 510 or 910.
2) I tried to get the $6 map update (why do I have to pay for an update on a brand new gps?) and it won't let me switch product codes saying that can't be done for 6 months!
3) I tried to get the new window mount and that fails also!!!!!

grrrh...

What can I do other than return it and try a Garmin?

Please help!

Hi there,

1. What kind of PC and what operating system are you using?

2. Just create a new TT PLUS account using another email address. Annoying for sure, but a workaround nonetheless.

3. The new 910 units don't need a new mount, they have fixed the mount problems.

Don't give up!!!

Look I know it seems like a rough start... but it is worth it. I have had mine for 3+ weeks and I like it alot. I did have problems in the begining but now am fine. All other GPSs I have tried do not come close to the performance of my tt910.

Last edited:
I wonder if your connecting the GO 910 correctly to the HOME dock. When it's connected to the home dock, turn on the unit.
If should ask you if you want to connect to your computer.
You must select YES
This is the first step in order for your unit to be seen by your computer.

Thanks for the help. I used a new email address and was able to get the device code accepted.

I'm using an intel imac.

I checked to see if it needs new maps and it does. However, when I put in the serial number it won't accept it saying "invalid format"

The 910 asks if I want to be connected to the computer and then it displays a big X.

On Tom Tom Home it has a check box for the 510 and 710 but no 910 even when I'm logged in on the new email address.

Please help...

I checked to see if it needs new maps and it does. However, when I put in the serial number it won't accept it saying "invalid format"
If you can't put the serial number in, how can you tell it needs new maps? I thought that was how you checked them.

I don't think home has any check boxes. You specify your device type when you create a TT account. TT home recognises the device type when it is connected (on PC's). I am not certain that TT home works on Mac's. Maybe someone else can confirm?

If you can't put the serial number in, how can you tell it needs new maps? I thought that was how you checked them.

I don't think home has any check boxes. You specify your device type when you create a TT account. TT home recognises the device type when it is connected (on PC's). I am not certain that TT home works on Mac's. Maybe someone else can confirm?

You check for the need for map updates with the product code.
My TT home has check boxes for the gps model, but the 910 is absent.

Does TT Home work on a mac? That raises a good question.

Thanks for the help.

I called TomTom customer service and got through with minimal wait.

One mistake that I made was reading an "I" in the serial number as a "1".

That cleared up the dvd upgrade problem.

With respect to the computer, they told me that it isn't compatible with an
intel mac.

My son has a PC so I will try it there.

Thanks for the help and encouragement...I'm not giving up!

Um, that's bad information, as I had a 910 and it worked fine with my intel imac. What concerns me (even more than the misinformed TT rep) is the big X on the screen. That means the TT can't locate the app/maps. Can you turn the device on properly and use it to navigate? Is this just a problem when attempting to connect to a computer?

Fanchee:

Could it be that he was mystified by the "big X" that appears on the docked device while shaking hands with the computer while loading files?

birdy, good point. perhaps. i think it does show a circle with a line through it, could this be the confusion? the icon that means do not disconnect?

That is it. The big X on the hand. But while that was there the computer said it could find no device.

What do you think?

Thanks

I just hooked up the 910 to TomTom Home on my son's PC computer and it was recognized immediately but for a little bit did have the hand with the big X and the little blue hard drive.

So it looks like I can at least run it from his computer.

I appreciate all of the support. It would be great if I could run it from my computer but I'll take what I can get.

Hey russ, try this. When the unit is connected to your mac, launch HOME and go up to device and choose "change device". Is it recognized now?

No, it is not recognized. It has a window to select a device that lists Go, 500, 710, one, etc but not 910.

I do have it up and running on my son's PC computer. I transfrerred my itunes over to it but can't figure out how to get itunes into the gps.

Any ideas?

Thanks

No, it is not recognized. It has a window to select a device that lists Go, 500, 710, one, etc but not 910.

I do have it up and running on my son's PC computer. I transfrerred my itunes over to it but can't figure out how to get itunes into the gps.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Don't give up on your Mac. I know the 910 works fine on both PPC and Intel macs (originally there was a problem backing up on dual processor intel macs but that has ben solved). The way I move music from iTunes to the 910 is to select what I want to move in iTunes and drag it into the mp3 folder on the TomTom Disk (which you will see in the Finder just as you will any other drve you connect to your Mac)

You might try to trash the prefs file for HOME.

What does this mean?

btw, the 910 is up and running on my son's PC computer. It is downloading a pile of mp3's as we speak. An FM transmitter holder is on the way.

If I can get it to work on the imac that would be great, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for all of the help, I'm electronically challenged.

Hey d80russ,
Did you ever get to grips with windscreen mount?
Make sure you keep twisting that puppy until the second click, then it should be rock-solid.

Ask a Question