Need Tech Help please

While trying to do a new backup of my 140S, I discovered I have some corrupt files on the device (file names are gibberish), that prevent the backup. I have tried to delete them to no avail. (I suspect this occurred while I was trying to learn to migrate map positions from Tyre).

The unit functions fine- I just cannot back it up.

I have a few compounding issues:

1. When I first got the unit, I made a "windows" backup copy of it. However, I see forum converstaions about needing to insure "hidden" files are displayed. My PC was not set for that, so I don't know if I have a valid copy or not.

2. SINCE I made this "maybe" copy, I downloaded my one free map upgrade. This means my current map is not the one I made a backup of.

I have NOW made a copy of my current map, by simply copying it off of the device. Will that copy work for me again if I re-format the device?

How do I re-, where do I go to download the OS? Do I simply copy the files onto the device, or must they run some .exe program to install? (like a windows softeware program?)

Just need a little (a lot?) of direction.

Thank you!

You have a backup and, as I understand it, you also have the new map downloaded so it probably resides in your C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\ folder.

Connect your unit to the computer. Select to format it when it comes up as an external drive. Don't use quickformat.

Once done, connect it to Home which should offer an application for the unit. Download and install it.

Now use Home to Add maps and it should list the map already downloaded in the location above. Click 'more info' to ensure it is the correct one.

Install it and then remove the unit properly from the pc (use Home's disconnect icon in the bottom roght of home's screen).

If all is good to go, make another Explorer backup.

Ask a Question